• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jajcek

CComPtr with ID3D11RenderTargetView

This topic is 1878 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

today I decided to change my raw pointers to CComPtr for my critical DX objects.

CComPtr<IDXGISwapChain> m_swapChain;
CComPtr<ID3D11Device> m_device;
CComPtr<ID3D11DeviceContext> m_deviceContext;
CComPtr<ID3D11RenderTargetView> m_renderTargetView // this doesn't work when used with CComPtr (but works with raw pointers)
CComPtr<ID3D11Texture2D> m_depthStencilBuffer;
CComPtr<ID3D11DepthStencilState> m_depthStencilState;
CComPtr<ID3D11DepthStencilView> m_depthStencilView;
CComPtr<ID3D11RasterizerState> m_rasterState;

for almost every object it works, but for the ID3D11RenderTargetView it crashes on runtime with:

Program: D:\aaa\Debug\aaa.exe
File: c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\atlmfc\include\atlcomcli.h
Line: 192

Expression: p==0

I have found over the Internet that this means I am calling method through a smart pointer that was not initialized (source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/57c867d6-796d-4f09-aa8e-f529722165db/ )

but actually I don't initialize this object myself. It's initialized by the CreateRenderTargetView() directx method.

Could you explain to me why it doesn't work, please?

Thank you.

Advertisement

How are you handling the case if CreateRenderTarget doesn't succeed? Maybe you'r feeding a nullpointer to CComPtr at some point?

Thanks for the reply.

I have following code:

_result = m_device->CreateRenderTargetView( _backBufferPtr, NULL, &m_renderTargetView );
if( FAILED( _result ) ) {
    OutputDebugString( "Failure at m_device->CreateRenderTargetView function in D3DSettings::initialize." );
    return false;
}

but it doesn't print the text "Failure..."

after debugging a bit more, I have found out that the runtime error is shown when executing:

OMSetRenderTargets( 1, &m_renderTargetView, m_depthStencilView );

I've checked with debbuger the m_renderTargetView and it is not NULL when achieving this line.

Edited by jajcek

See here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa266799(v=vs.60).aspx

"The operation will assert if p is non-NULL."

It asserts, because it's expecting that it will be modified (thus causing a leak if there is already a value in there).

Maybe you can copy the value into a temporary stack variable of type ID3D11RenderTargetView* in order to pass it to OMSetRenderTargets (which is expecting an array).

Hey phil_t,

Maybe you can copy the value into a temporary stack variable of type ID3D11RenderTargetView* in order to pass it to OMSetRenderTargets (which is expecting an array).

that really worked, thank you, but actually I consider it as a strange workaround.

Edited by jajcek

Well normally the reason you pass the address of a variable to a function is so that it can be modified (which is clearly dangerous in the case of a smart pointer that already holds a value).

The less common reason is for an array, like OMSetRenderTargets - and you were using the (1, &) "trick" to do this while avoiding making a "real" array.

Pass in &m_renderTargetView.p instead of just m_renderTargetView.

The CComPtr class exposes the innards, specifically the pointer it contains (p), for a reason. This is one such example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!