Microsoft burned down my home, where now?

Started by
41 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 11 months ago

Long story short I've been using XNA for 6 years now just playing around with code, not actually producing anything. It helped me get to where I am today; a professional coder using C#. Well, apparently XNA is dead. After 2 hours of despair I decided that I'd try going to C++ and Direct X (I used them at school so I have some idea of what I'm doing). From what I've ready I can't do that with the new version of VSE; I have to pay to upgrade which I refuse to do unless I started actually making money from my hobby.

So where to now? I've been looking at Unity, which apparently uses C#, however I've never been able to get into it, like at all. I install it, see what looks like a map editor, and decide it's not for me because I'm not looking for a game engine I'm looking for a game library. I'm not really sure if there is anything like XNA out there.

I can say I'm pretty pissed off at Microsoft; all this talk about supporting Indie development then they just yank out the carpet for no reason. I honestly don't know why they did it, especially with them trying to get people developing cross system apps for Windows 8 and especially with them having C# as a primary app language. It just made sense to me that they would expand on XNA to work with all versions of Win 8, straight PC, 360, and the new 720, but instead they slammed the door shut. Don't know where to go from here.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Try SlimDX or SharpDX maybe? I am not sure if they have everything you need though, they are DirectX wrappers for the most part.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I'm not really sure if there is anything like XNA out there.

Fortunately, MonoGame is a continuing open source implementation of XNA, so your knowledge will transfer over.

Here's a page describing how to get set up, give it a try.

No, XNA is not dead. I suspect it will get at least 3-4 more years of life, at least.

I, for one, am viewing the lack of updates to the API as a Good Thing (no more broken code for dubious new "features").

3 yrs ago, I switched from C++/DirectX into C# / XNA. Yes, I still have the C++/DX engine/game codebase. But I'm not returning back to it.

I am sticking to XNA, since thanks to MonoGame I have an access to all platforms i could possibly have my games on. Yes, iOs and Android require some investment (Xamarin), but without Mac you can't really test your app anyway (i.e. using remote desktop - virtual macs), so it's not that big of a deal.

It remains to be seen how much of an indie support will the new XBOX get. Let's wait for that first, before burrying XNA...

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

monogame is written the exact same as XNA the only difference is how it handles resources. I had to use it recently for a competition and after a short while setting it up I had no problems with it.

After 2 hours of despair I decided that I'd try going to C++ and Direct X (I used them at school so I have some idea of what I'm doing). From what I've ready I can't do that with the new version of VSE; I have to pay to upgrade which I refuse to do unless I started actually making money from my hobby.

You don't need the Pro edition to do DirectX development. You only need the pro if you want all the new fancy game dev specific features that VS 2012 offers, but you can use the express without these additions just fine. I'm currently using Visual Studio Express for Windows 8 to develop a DirectX game and everything works great.

As others have already mentioned, you should definitely check out MonoGame.

If you are use to C#, try SharpDX it is really nice to work with, I never really liked XNA as it hid far too much lower level stuff that was important from a learning perspective and was DX9 only. I say give SharpDX a go before going pure raw C++ or COM warfare as I like to call it

You're talking as if Microsoft has deleted all copies of XNA from the earth, when all they've done is announced that it's reached maturity and won't be developed any further. D3D9 isn't being updated either, and it's still used to create games.

• You can keep using the existing versions of XNA.
  • You can switch over to the open-source versions of XNA, like Monogame.
  • You can use C# and D3D via SlimDX, etc.
  • You can use C++ and D3D (for free; no you don't have to buy anything).

DON'T PANIC

+1 Hodge

You don't have to do what M$ tells you.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree, I think it would have been a great idea for Microsoft to continue with XNA and integrate it with the new Windows 8 Metro/store etc, instead they did not, who knows why?

I think the final determination of Microsoft and indie game developers will be what they do with the NextBox. Ive already left XNA and have been using MonoGame and MonoGame only (I only use XNA to compile content once in a while). The Windows DirectX platform of MonoGame will probably release soon (the current released windows version uses OpenGL), you can already use a early version of it by downloading from the MonoGame github.

The DirectX MonoGame platform uses SharpDX and Direct3D11, they have already started expanding the API further than XNA (multiple window support, RenderTarget3D class, etc...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement