I wish i could get credit for what i learn

Started by
7 comments, last by Anri 10 years, 11 months ago

I mean I enjoy programming and all, but Ive learned so much it just makes me feel like I wish I could be awarded some college credit for it. I mean I just finished learning about data structures (equivalent to data structures 1 and 2) all on my own but here I am with the knowledge but no credit. It just bugs the crap out of me. Sorry just felt like I had to rant

Advertisement

I mean I enjoy programming and all, but Ive learned so much it just makes me feel like I wish I could be awarded some college credit for it. I mean I just finished learning about data structures (equivalent to data structures 1 and 2) all on my own but here I am with the knowledge but no credit. It just bugs the crap out of me. Sorry just felt like I had to rant.

And you're not in community college because........?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Maybe you can challenge the exams

College credit is overrated. If you can write good code, and make things, and get them done, you can accomplish everything you need to earn real credit: credit for actually doing stuff.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

If you are in school you should ask about challenging or testing out of a class.

It is generally an easy thing. Talk to your academic adviser and tell them you have experience outside of college. If they won't let you challenge or test out of a class, ask the department head. Explain what you have already done that shows you know the material.

Be prepared to take the exams from the course, and pay a small fee.

I managed to test out of several courses. I just rechecked the costs at the school and they are unchanged; the cost was $100 to take such a test, and if you pass, another $10 to the school registrar's office to record the course grade and mark it on your transcript.

Many people will test out of general education requirements, and many smarter experienced individuals will test out of first-year and some second-year classes.

in life you will be doing a lot of things that you won't get credited for. get used to it :)

knowledge is only one requirement for formal education. time mangement, endurance and ability to learn really boring stuff really quick are some others...

There are a lot of courses available that simply give you a certificate when you complete them.

Agile development has them, Oracle has them for Java, and so on.

If you believe you have what it takes, you can sign up for one of those courses, do the tests,

ace them, receive your certificate and put it on your resume. Also, experience in a certain

fied of work is extremely valuable - maybe even more so in the world of software development

and programming than in any other.

keep in mind: Everything costs money. Except for gaining experience. They should give you money

for that.

I don't mind your disagreeing. I mind your refusing to *listen*.

College credit is overrated. If you can write good code, and make things, and get them done, you can accomplish everything you need to earn real credit: credit for actually doing stuff.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You should attack an education with a desire for knowledge, not seeking a piece of paper that validates your intelligence. I have met many a Ph.D that wasn't worth a damn, and many self-educated people that are absolutely brilliant.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

I mean I enjoy programming and all, but Ive learned so much it just makes me feel like I wish I could be awarded some college credit for it. I mean I just finished learning about data structures (equivalent to data structures 1 and 2) all on my own but here I am with the knowledge but no credit. It just bugs the crap out of me. Sorry just felt like I had to rant

If you are enrolled in a college and its not giving any credit or qualification - ditch it for one that does. Distance learning is a good alternative if travel and accomodation is an issue.

But if you are not in college, and feel you are teaching yourself without anything to show for your progress, then stop beating around the bush and enroll for a qualification in computing. Even if its only a first year certificate, you should still do it. It will be your first accomplishment in the field, and its something to put on your CV, which can only help. If you have no experience whatsoever, then qualifications are better than nothing.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement