• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

"Research" System in 4X Games

This topic is 1673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now that you’ve fleshed it out like that, I can see where you’re coming from, and I see it working with the addition of some defensive bonuses.

That being said, have you thought about using space as a limiting/customizing mechanic of SBs? For example, what if a SB started off with a set number of available slots/bays/compartments in which to install production facilities (this could be expanded by upgrading/enlarging the SB perhaps?). This would force more specialized starbases, unless you had lots of extra resources to spare in enlarging the starbase in addition to building all the facilities.

Perhaps you could even allow using some of that space for extra defensive capabilities instead of production. Thus you could build a type of “Battle Station” that would help defend key areas/planets. Unless of course you plan on having different classes of SBs all together, which would make that redundant.

Just some food for thought!

Advertisement

That being said, have you thought about using space as a limiting/customizing mechanic of SBs? For example, what if a SB started off with a set number of available slots/bays/compartments in which to install production facilities (this could be expanded by upgrading/enlarging the SB perhaps?). This would force more specialized starbases, unless you had lots of extra resources to spare in enlarging the starbase in addition to building all the facilities.

There's currently no hard limit per module per se, but each module beyond the first costs increasingly more indeed, in such a way that a starbase that does "everything" costs possibly twice as much as two starbases that, put together, can do everything if you see what I mean.

Perhaps you could even allow using some of that space for extra defensive capabilities instead of production. Thus you could build a type of “Battle Station” that would help defend key areas/planets. Unless of course you plan on having different classes of SBs all together, which would make that redundant.

Well, sort of, although, I'm geared towards having weapons platforms for this, which would have extremely low mobility, but formidable firepower. They wouldn't be much use for assault, but great at defending certain planets, and could be towed from one planet to another.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement