• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Juliean

Two classes, same name - solution?

This topic is 1872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

after refactoring some of my old gui code by removing the "Gui" - prefixes and instead putting them into a gui-namespace, plus putting the file into a seperate folder, I've come across a problem. Now I've got some classes that share the same name, and also the same file-name:

// in "Gui/Window.h"
namespace gui
{
class Window {};
}

// in "Core/Window.h"
namespace core
{
class Window {};
}

Those two classes doesn't have anything in common. Before starting, I supposed this was safe, since both files are in different locations, and both classes are in different namespaces. However, when compiling the libary I get a compiler warning about multiple object-files with the same name, and upon compiling the actual game project, I get a lot of unresolved symbol linker errors.

Now I ask, is there any way to solve this, without adding some provisorical pre/postfix to the class?

Edited by Juliean

Advertisement

There shouldn't be any linker errors. Are you sure it's caused by this? Did you refactor your .cpp files as well, not only headers?

If both classes are still in separate namespaces then you can refer to them by prefixing them with the namespace:

Gui::Window
Core::Window

Here you go. The errors I get are basically:

1>Debug\A.obj : warning LNK4042: Objekt mehrmals angegeben; zusätzliche Objekte werden ignoriert.
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: Verweis auf nicht aufgelöstes externes Symbol ""public: __thiscall a::A::A(void)" (??0A@a@@QAE@XZ)" in Funktion "_main".
1>main.obj : error LNK2019: Verweis auf nicht aufgelöstes externes Symbol ""public: __thiscall a::A::~A(void)" (??1A@a@@QAE@XZ)" in Funktion "_main".
1>S:\Users\Juli\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\TestProject\Debug\TestProject.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 nicht aufgelöste Externe

Sorry for the german, I hope you get what it means. LNK4042: translates to "object referenced multiple times", and the other ones to "unsolved refernece to extern symbol".

I know how I can reference the classes, but this errors are just... weird, or am I missing something? Using visual studio 2012 ultimate, if that helps.

This is indeed very weird. I got the same error bilding the project in MSVC++ Express 2012.

Renaming the files in B to B.h and B.cpp "fixed" it. Is this a compiler/linker bug?

Edited by Madhed

Please use a "normal" archiving format, like zip. Using something weird, like rar, will make people less likely to download the code.

Wait, rar a weird archiving format? In all due honesty, thats a new one for me, rar has been my "standard" for years now. But, never mind, I strongly suppose you know what you are talking about, so, yeah, will relate to zip in the future.

Anyway, thanks both of you for pointing that out. I wasn't able to find a feasable solution in the solution explorer - while I could change the obj output directory for a project, that doesn't work for a single class - I'll have no choice than renaming it. I might as well split the modules into seperate projects somewhere, but right now, the complexity doesn't justify that. Man, thats really a pain, I'd too like them to fix that...

You don't need to change the output directory for the project, but you can change the generate object file name for a specific file. Go to the solution explorer, right click on the file name and hit properties, go to the output files page and change the output file name.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!