• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

Can I Bake a Position Map ?

This topic is 2048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

Is it possible to bake a position map ? It would be similar to a normal map but hold positional values instead of directional.

Thank you.

Advertisement

Hi guys,

Is it possible to bake a position map ? It would be similar to a normal map but hold positional values instead of directional.

Thank you.

Er - yes, you can do it. As it - no one's stopping you. Question is - what are you trying to accomplish with this?

If you're going to do it, don't target a regular 8 bit texture, but rather just output a raw 3x32 bit blob of coordinates. Normals wrap around a sphere. Position coordinates are uncapped unless you're working with a regular grid with a fixed size (which would make storing position kind of silly in the first place).

Hi, what I was thinking is that I can use a 3D function, like Perlin Noise, to fill in my unwrapped diffuse texture.

You absolutely can, but I don't think a 3D position texture is the best way to go about it. There are lots of ways to parameterize texture space. HERE'S a pretty good technique (skip to 1.5, tri planar texturing). Edited by tool_2046

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!