• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Medo Mex

Bullet Impact Billboard Disappearing

This topic is 1969 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I move backward, the bullet impact billboard disappear, when I stop moving, it show up.

When I hide the parent mesh (which got the bullet impact billboard on it), the billboard never disappear.

How do I make the billboard appear all the time no matter if the player is moving or not?

Advertisement

sounds like z-fighting.

either increase percision of the z-buffer (bring near and far clipping plane of the camera closer to each other) or move the impact decal farther out of the wall.

You probably want to use the term bullet impact decal. Billboards are a different thing, they are triangles "automatically" aligning them to face the camera, appearing like "sprites", often used for particles.

It doesn't matter how you set your planes. Nor your z precision because what you have is z-fighting. Yourself above uses the term incorrectly, referring to z-aliasing instead.

Just stop and think at how you generate your decal geometry. In line of concept, it is on the same z. It is generated to be on the same z. Even if you have more z precision, the problem will still be there conceptually. We don't need to fix aliasing. We need to fix the underlying problem.

Look in a feature called "z offset". It's like magic. What it does is to perturb z so it "snaps" exactly on nearby, already rasterized pixels.

@Krohm: I'm alittle confused, Isn't a decal same as billboards (vertices place in front of a mesh and stuck on it)?

I tried setting a value for D3DRS_DEPTHBIAS, it works well, but If I have another mesh infront of the billboards, I can see the billboards through it.

Edited by Medo3337

@belfegor: Even when I move the billboard vertices forward, I still have the problem, the problem disappear when I move the billboard FAR forward which of course something I can't rely on since the billboard won't look stuck on the mesh if the player looked at the sides.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!