• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Davoo

Crafting Experiences

This topic is 1967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

"Most of all, you'll need life experience. As a designer, you are crafting experiences. You cannot do this without having some yourself; go live." -- Extra Credits on how to be a game designer

In this thread, discuss life/world/people experiences--whether real or hypothetical; common or uncommon; desirable or undesirable--and how they can direct concepts and develop ideas of game design.

--

Solitude In a Giant Group

An hour ago, I walked out of a crowded theater room and into an even more crowded theater lobby; packed wall-to-wall with people like me who had just seen Iron Man 3.

I live in a rural neighborhood; my day job mostly involves being in or around large, quiet, empty houses; and I don't go to the theater very often. Being in a tight, crowded area is something I very rarely experience. I very much enjoy being alone; I vastly prefer being completely by myself with my Android while I take a walk or cook or do chores.

I was totally caught in surprise when the ex'purunce of tight-packed human-density I had earlier this afternoon reminded me that, despite my affinity for isolation, I also really enjoy being in big crowds.

What stood out mainly was when I went to the bathroom. From the time I went in to the time I walked out, I felt like I was invisible; unnoticed. I felt just as free from awkwardness and just as 'by myself' with seven other people in the bathroom as I would if there was no one else.

So what I realized was, to a great extent for me:

Being in a big crowd and being all alone are the same thing

And this, I hypothesize, is a very welcome concept on the drawing board of a stealth game, or a free-roaming adventure game. 

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!