Remove any items from a list while iterating

Started by
15 comments, last by Alberth 4 years, 1 month ago

Has anyone found a way to remove any item from a list as it is iterating?

Normally a loop to iterate through a linked list looks like this:

for ( it = list.begin(); it != list.end(); it++ )
{
}

If you want to be able to remove an item from the list while it is iterating, you can always do this:

it = list.begin();
while (it != list.end() )
{
	if (condition)
	{
		it = list.erase(it);
	}
	else
	{
		it++;
	}
}

But what if the code in your loop called other code that could result in the removal of the object from the list, with no way to tell it occurred? It could also result in removing other objects from the list, with no way of knowing it happened. In that case, our previous trick would not be enough to prevent any possible problems, because the code might be removing the next item in the list after we have forwarded the iterator.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

10x Faster Performance for VR: www.ultraengine.com

Advertisement

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Yes.

Don't do it.

You can allow multiple readers of containers, but when a container must be modified all access must be locked to a single place.

This simple rule is true for all objects, and especially true in multi-processing applications where objects may be shared by a thread.
You may want to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erase-remove_idiom

In C++11 you can use lambda expressions to describe the condition:
void remove_odd(std::list<int> &list) {
  list.erase(std::remove_if(list.begin(), list.end(),
                            [](int i){
                              // Place any code here which returns a                           
                              // bool indicating whether the item                              
                              // should be removed                                             
                              return i%2 != 0;
                            }
                            ),
             list.end());
}

I'm really not sure if it works, but have you tried going from the back of the list to the front?

(This worked for me once with ArrayLists in Java)

One solution is for the objects to mark themselves as "dead", perhaps using a flag or adding themselves (e.g. index or pointer) to a separate "dead list". The master loop can clear dead objects at a convenient time.

You can erase items from a list as your iterating it, you just need to stash the next iterator before you do stuff to the current one.

auto it = myList.begin();

while(it != myList.end())
{
    auto nextIt = it;
    ++nextIt;

doStuffWith(it);

it = nextIt;
}

I'm using auto to save typing but if you not got C++11 support it's easy to change.

EDIT: This wont work with vector or any other container that can cause stuff to be copied or moved around in the container.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

I'm really not sure if it works, but have you tried going from the back of the list to the front?

(This worked for me once with ArrayLists in Java)

This works fine for array-based collections but once you get to more complex datastructures it can get difficult to delete anything without disrupting the iterator.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

It could also result in removing other objects from the list, with no way of knowing it happened.

This line here is the killer. You can safely handle the case of the object under consideration being removed (as previous posters have demonstrated) but if other arbitrary objects in the list can be removed by the same deletion then you're stuck. You'll need to build a more sane object removal traversal. Mark an object for removal, traverse the list to remove it. If that object needs to remove other objects then have the object in turn mark them so that you can remove them in subsequent passes rather than in the same pass.

One solution is for the objects to mark themselves as "dead", perhaps using a flag or adding themselves (e.g. index or pointer) to a separate "dead list". The master loop can clear dead objects at a convenient time.

Yeah, this is the only solution I've found. Basically, I just put all objects that should be deleted into a list and then call something like Collect() after the list is done iterating.

I can't help thinking there's got to be a simple solution that handles all possible cases.

There IS a way to do this, and it's quite elegant. biggrin.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement