Sign in to follow this  
MateiSoft

Write here the features you want for a Zombie Survival Game!

JLW    302

Go read the zombie survival guide, base it off that. Make it rural, not urban, and stealth-based instead of another twitchy shooter. Zombies can only be killed by destroying their head (NOT a one-shot kill, though, that's dull and irritating) and anything else just impairs them. (Possibly a lot.) Add in other enemies besides zombies, like wild animals and occasionally raiders. Slow zombies, but hard to kill and have firearms be limited in use through some means. Then, for a big twist, make the environment and the character's needs an important factor, and use concepts like disease and wounding.

You know, do it right.

MateiSoft    122

See some screenshots here and tell me what you thinksmile.png:   http://www.gamedev.net/topic/642500-underground-rush-zombie-survival-game/

Go read the zombie survival guide, base it off that. Make it rural, not urban, and stealth-based instead of another twitchy shooter. Zombies can only be killed by destroying their head (NOT a one-shot kill, though, that's dull and irritating) and anything else just impairs them. (Possibly a lot.) Add in other enemies besides zombies, like wild animals and occasionally raiders. Slow zombies, but hard to kill and have firearms be limited in use through some means. Then, for a big twist, make the environment and the character's needs an important factor, and use concepts like disease and wounding.

You know, do it right.

MateiSoft    122

Doesn't look or sound anything like it.

It's just missing the outdoor environments and the weapons for zombies the rest is present...slow zombies the animals are currently in development, character's needs are very hard to getsmile.png

JLW    302

It's just missing the outdoor environments and the weapons for zombies the rest is present...slow zombies the animals are currently in development, character's needs are very hard to getsmile.png

What about the headshots? The big deal with the Max Brooks zombie is that only head wounds can truly kill a zombie and everything else just slows them down.

EDIT:

But that doesn't mean a headshot is an instant kill, either.

MateiSoft    122

That is called limb detection.....i  am also working on that;)

What about the headshots? The big deal with the Max Brooks zombie is that only head wounds can truly kill a zombie and everything else just slows them down.

EDIT:

But that doesn't mean a headshot is an instant kill, either.

JLW    302

I'd like to have traps.

I second Matei's question. What kind of traps? Pre-set traps in the game? Traps you could set yourself? If the latter, are we talking simple grab and set traps like landmines, or more complex designs? What, exactly, are you looking for?

MateiSoft    122

Traps like landmines will be a new feature for the next version because of the engine:) and i understood in general what kind of traps:)

I'd like to have traps.

I second Matei's question. What kind of traps? Pre-set traps in the game? Traps you could set yourself? If the latter, are we talking simple grab and set traps like landmines, or more complex designs? What, exactly, are you looking for?

mipmap    1013

I would like to have a crafting system where you could build various forms of traps:

• Snare
  • Pits
  • Spikes on some form of spring that is released upon triggers (a bit like mouse trap but larger)
  • Stumbling ropes.
  • Chemical traps - zombies are mushy, a strong solvent could do wonders!
  • Nets
  • Weapon traps - a weapon is mounted and when triggered starts to shoot
  • Heavy drops
  • Pour oil on ground in custom patterns which can be set on fire
  • Dynamite

Outline of crafting system of active weapons

• Trigger (wall, ground, area of effect, quality - how reliable it is)
  • Damage mechanism (the thing that does the damage/releases the tool)

Further reference

samgj    400

Other people. Not just multiplayer but also AI you could talk to, or trade with, or team up with.

MateiSoft    122

Yes, i added this feature today:) Thanks for your idea!

Other people. Not just multiplayer but also AI you could talk to, or trade with, or team up with.

wodinoneeye    1689

To 'cure' zombies  (may require disabling/overpowering/trapping)  which will give the player something in adition to the usual axe chopping, chainsawing, immolation.   The disabling/overpowering/trapping would also involve more methods/tools giving more variety to the game.

They dont have to become your friend/minion in the game but having them thank you and run off to safety  would be nice.  If there is extra difficulty involved some payoff like them sending you goodies sometime in the future or somesuch might induce players to try this route.

wodinoneeye    1689

Probably been done -- you play AS the Zombie....

Maybe just an alternate mode for a little variety using already created assets/mechanics

Heh in that mode you might sometimes become a Zombie LEADER  (Braaaaaainzzzzzz Thisssss Waaaaaaayyyyy......)

ZwodahS    483
Take a look at this
http://www.cataclysmdda.com/ or http://whalesdev.com/ for the original game.

After you get past the initial learning curve and got used to the "graphics", this game offers you a great zombie survival experience.

For me, I don't think I will play (or attempt to make) any more Zombie survival. But that is just me :P. You might be able to get some things out from this game.

Edit: The thing that you want to learn from the games is not the graphics or the perspective but the actions that a person can do when they want to survive in a Z-apocalypse. The main thing is you should be able to do is to make use anything to everything. A crafting system is a must or at least something similar.

You also need to be able to modify the environment or create traps(like previously mentioned) to protect yourself. You need to be able to have an open world or big enough to feel open. In a real Z-apocalypse, you will never really stay in one place. Food will run out and you need to find new food source etc.

If you don't have things like this, then it will not be a survival game, and just ends up being a Zombie shooter, which is fun but have a different target audience from a Z-survival game.

Hope what I said make sense :P Edited by ZwodahS