• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CDarwin

problem binding a c++ function with luabind

This topic is 2052 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I'm pretty new to luabind. I'm having a little problem binding one of my string functions(convert to uppercase). Just couldn't figure it out.

[source]void STools::UCase(char *txt)
{
for (;;)
{
u_int32 t = *reinterpret_cast(txt);
txt++;
}
}
[/source]

Here's the luabind code
 [source]luabind::module(myLuaState) [
    luabind::def("convert_upper", STools::UCase)
  ]; [/source]

Compiler Error

[source]error C2664: 'void (char *)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'char *' [/source]

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by CDarwin

Advertisement

http://www.rasterbar.com/products/luabind/docs.html#out-value

That explains how your C++ functions can't take non-const ref/pointers if you want to bind them to Lua. So, the out_value function policy will add a return value in Lua code, rather than modifying the input.

Where your C++ code would look like

char* str = "hi";
UCase(str);
std::cout << str; //prints 'HI'

Your Lua code would look like

local str = "hi"
local ucstr = UCase(str)
--// or you can have str = UCase(str)
print(ucstr) //prints 'HI'

Thanks a lot Gambini,

I've tried your suggestion but I'm still getting compiler errors. Any other suggestions?

out_value(_1) causes the following error:

[SOURCE] error C2352: 'luabind::native_converter_base<T>::match' : illegal call of non-static member function[/SOURCE]

out_value(_2) causes the following:

[SOURCE]error C2664: 'void (char *)' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'char *'[/SOURCE]

It looks like out_value doesn't work well with MSVC (here).

You'll have to either re-think the function or use Lua's "string.upper" function.

Another option is to make your own string class with UCase as a member function. That would bind perfectly fine to Lua, since UCase wouldn't need to take any parameters and only modify the object data.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!