• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
george7378

Simple shadow map antialiasing?

This topic is 1949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone,

At the moment I've got basic shadow maps, but I'd like to try and remove the blocky pixel edges by adding some antialiasing. I'm not looking for soft shadows - I want to keep them hard, but I'd like to try and make the edges smoother.

Thanks!

Advertisement

The standard technique is called Percentage Closer Filtering, or PCF for short. It basically amounts to sampling the shadow map multiple times in a small radius, performing the shadow comparison for each sample, and averaging the result. Which version of D3D are you using?

OK - I'm using D3D9 and pixel/vertex shader 2.0 - I did hear about PCF but I thought that was primarily for making shadows softer. If it reduces the visibility of texels at the edge of the shadow, then I guess I'll use that!

Well, it's actually a form of filtering but it will have the result of "softening" your shadows by giving them a penumbra. Filtering is definitely a good way to reduce aliasing (the jagged, stair-step artifacts that you're talking about), but it will also reduce the sharp details. If you want really sharp details without aliasing, then the only good solution is to increase the effective resolution of your shadow map (either by increasing the size of the shadow map, or reducing the amount of screen space that it covers). High shadow map resolution + filtering will give you sharp, unaliased shadows.

That's useful, thanks! Since my game takes place on the Moon, I need to try and maintain reasonably hard shadows. I'm willing to trade off a little bit of hardness for antialiasing though, so I guess PCF it is! Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure what the effective screen resolution of your shadow map is, but I found that bumping the render target of the shadow map to 4096x4096 did the trick for me - I have both the hard shadows and enough detail. And I did not have to implement PCF.

Shadow volumes aren't a very popular technique these days, but if you want perfect sharp-edged shadows they might be worth considering.

I'm not sure what the effective screen resolution of your shadow map is, but I found that bumping the render target of the shadow map to 4096x4096 did the trick for me - I have both the hard shadows and enough detail. And I did not have to implement PCF.

If your shadow map resolution is actually higher than your rendering resolution and you don't apply filtering, than you'll actually undersample the shadow map which can result in aliasing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!