Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

file i/o

This topic is 5893 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If have a textfile which looks like this: ; lengt 1000 ; start 0 ; jump 100 700.000 3 100.000 4 Now i open the file with fopen and then i want to pass the lines with a ; and go to the numbers below and read them one by one and store them in a buffer. How can this be done. How can a pass all the lines with a ; and read those numbers until i find an end of file? Thanx in advance

Read the file a line at a time, and any line that begins with a '';'' skip. Kind of like this:

/* Assumes less than 512 on each line for simplicity*/
char Buffer[512];
FILE *File = fopen(...);

/* ... */

for( ; ; ) {
if(fgets(Buffer,512,File) == NULL) break;
switch(Buffer[0]) {
case '';'':
break;
default:
/* Get Number from Buffer with atof or sscanf */

break;
}
}

fclose(File);

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

But how about the points in the file. Does the computer see that as thousands or as a decimal divider?? And i want the numbers to be written in an array of characters and then send them over. but how do i recognize the different numbers in an array of characters because they do not fit in one memory location of the array?

Thanx in advance again.

Depending on how you open the file it will either see the decimals as a single byte value or as a character ''.'' Although technically they''re both the same thing, it might be more meaningful in a given situation to think of it a certain way. You might be able to pull something off with fscanf() to get it to read the 700.000 as a fractional number. No matter what, you''ll have to tell your program how to deal with it.

ASCII mode files are cooky to work with IMHO.