Radiance (radiometry) clarification

Started by
60 comments, last by Bummel 10 years, 11 months ago

However, it's important to note that as the detector angle increases and the area visible to the detector increases, the solid angle occupied by the emitter also decreases, which balances things out somewhat

the problem with this is that the solid angle and projected area terms in the radiance equation have to be one of these combinations:

- solid angle subtended by emitter and projected area of detector

or

- solid angle subtended by detector and projected area of emitter

you are describing an invalid combination:

- solid angle subtended by emitter and projected area of emitter

which is meaningless

quoting wikipedia radiance article:

When calculating the radiance emitted by a source, A refers to an area on the surface of the source, and ? to the solid angle into which the light is emitted. When calculating radiance at a detector, A refers to an area on the surface of the detector and ? to the solid angle subtended by the source as viewed from that detector

Advertisement

Hodgman

very interesting point about the area of the emitter that is visible being greater

however it just confirms the radiance of 1.414

here I show the radiance calculation from both points of view, and the result is 1.414 for both:

radianceqa4.png

Your idea that the solid angle changes is wrong ...

As the angle becomes more oblique to the wall on the left the solid angle the detector subtends will decrease. The solid angle will reach it's maximum when the detector and emitter are parallel.

Graphics Programmer - Ready At Dawn Studios

The solid angle the detector subtends is constant in all my diagrams

because the distance between detector and emitter (center points) is equal

and the detector is always normal to the light

In my first post the solid angle the emitter subtends does decrease with angle

But in the post above the solid angles subtended by both emitter and detector are constant

In the first post the emitter area is constant, in the last post the emitter *projected* area is constant

Either way the result is the same, radiance increases with viewing angle

because radiance = flux / solid_angle / projected_area

as the solid_angle decreases radiance must increase

as the projected_area decreases radiance must increase

as the flux increases radiance must increase

In my diagram above you can measure the plane angle (depicting the solid angle) with a protractor and see it is constant

The solid angle the detector subtends is constant in all my diagrams

because the distance between detector and emitter (center points) is equal

and the detector is always normal to the light

In my first post the solid angle the emitter subtends does decrease with angle

But in the post above the solid angles subtended by both emitter and detector are constant

In the first post the emitter area is constant, in the last post the emitter *projected* area is constant

Either way the result is the same, radiance increases with viewing angle

because radiance = flux / solid_angle / projected_area

as the solid_angle decreases radiance must increase

as the projected_area decreases radiance must increase

as the flux increases radiance must increase

In my diagram above you can measure the plane angle (depicting the solid angle) with a protractor and see it is constant

If the solid angle is constant then the area on the left wall will increase as the angle goes further oblique.

Exactly

as the emitter area increases the flux increases which means the measured radiance *increases*

That only makes sense if you let the emitter area increase unbounded but physical devices are bounded in area so it doesn't make sense to think in those terms.

-= Dave

Exactly

as the emitter area increases the flux increases which means the measured radiance *increases*

And now you conveniently forget mentioning the cosine term in the denominator which you've been arguing about for the past two days. Funny how that works, isn't it? sad.png

Let's go with the diagram you posted and walk through it step by step:

radianceqa4.png

Emitter is on the left, detector is on the right. For the diagrams on the left, we are considering radiance emitted towards the detector, and for the diagrams on the right, we are considering radiance received by the detector (they should, of course, be the same). Assume the detector and emitter have respective areas Ad and Ae and unit distance from each other. Let P be the total power emitted by the emitter (in every direction over its entire surface). Now:

b244829796ca23043c9107f5f8e5d2aa.png

Now, for calculating radiance emitted by a surface into a given solid angle:

-- ? is the angle (with respect to the emitter's normal) at which the radiance is being emitted

-- d²? is the radiant flux emitted by the surface (this is proportional to the solid angle being emitted into)

-- d? is the solid angle being emitted into

-- dA is a surface patch on the emitter's surface

And, for calculating radiance received by a detector from a given solid angle:

-- ? is the angle (with respect to the detector's normal) at which the radiance is being received

-- d²? is the radiant flux received by the detector (again, proportional to the solid angle where the light is being received from)

-- d? is the solid angle being received from

-- dA is a surface patch on the detector's surface

Now, the top-left diagram (radiance measured as it exits the emitter towards the detector):

-- ? is 0 // straightforward

-- d²? is equal to P * (Ad / Ae) // power over surface Ae projected into cross-sectional area Ad - note projected area = real area since we're at normal incidence

-- d? is equal to Ad // fine, we see the detector at normal incidence so its solid angle subtends over its entire area

-- dA is equal to Ae // straightforward

--> L = (P * (Ad / Ae)) / (Ae * Ad) = P / Ae^2

Bottom-left diagram (radiance measured as it exits the emitter towards the detector):

-- ? is equal to 45 degrees // angle made with the emitter's surface normal

-- d²? is equal to P * ((Ad * cos(?)) / Ae) // power over surface area Ae projected into cross-sectional area Ad * cos(?)

-- d? is equal to Ad // the solid angle is the same as the detector is always facing the emitter at normal incidence

--> L = (P * ((Ad * cos(?)) / Ae)) / (Ae * Ad * cos(?)) = P / Ae^2

Top-right diagram (radiance measured as it falls on the detector):

-- ? is 0 // straightforward

-- d²? is equal to P * (Ad / Ae) // power over cross-sectional area Ae

-- d? is equal to Ae // fine, we see the emitter at normal incidence so its solid angle subtends over its entire area

-- dA is equal to Ad // straightforward

--> L = (P * (Ad / Ae)) / (Ad * Ae) = P / Ae^2

Bottom-right diagram (radiance measured as it falls on the detector):

-- ? is equal to 0 degrees // angle made with the detector's surface normal

-- d²? is equal to P * ((Ad * cos(45)) / Ae) // same reasoning as with bottom-left, power over surface area Ae projected into cross-sectional area Ad * cos(?)

-- d? is equal to Ae * cos(45) // the projected area of the emitter, no problem

-- dA is equal to Ad // straightforward

--> L = (P * ((Ad * cos(45)) / Ae)) / (Ad * Ae * cos(45) * cos(?)) = P / Ae^2

And we see the radiance is constant with view angle, as expected. It is also dependent on the emitter's surface area and power - of course, a higher power leads to larger radiance and a larger surface area leads to a smaller radiance as the emitter subtends a larger solid angle). And it doesn't go to infinity unless the emitter has no area which is not physical (and radiance is then meaningless). And it is of course independent of detector surface area, which only comes into play when you consider irradiance at the detector (where you multiply the radiance by Ad * cos(?) to obtain the irradiance)

Worth noting P already depends on the emitter's surface area (since a higher surface area leads to higher power) so in reality radiance is proportional to 1 / Ae if you keep the emitter's power per unit area (also known as intensity) constant, which is generally the case.

Your "non-lambertian geometry" concept is meaningless. "Lambertian" doesn't refer to any form of "geometry", at least not to do with aiming detectors and emitters at various angles with respect to each other. Lambert's cosine law simply makes an observation that at grazing angles, the flux tends to zero, and that is true in general:

300px-Lambert_Cosine_Law_1.svg.png

It may vary for various materials (that is where the BRDF comes in - the Lambertian model is simply a base case for the notion of BRDF) but it is completely unphysical for a surface to be able to emit constant flux (or, in general, flux which does not decrease at least as fast as cos(?) with view angle) at grazing angles, as that would mean it has infinite power. That is what you have been assuming all along, I believe. It just does not happen for any emitter which has area.

I would nevertheless like to thank you for making this thread as it has really challenged (and improved, in many ways) my understanding of radiance, radiant flux, etc..

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This is a typo? You meant: Ad is equal to Ae

-- d²? is equal to P * ((Ad * cos(?)) / Ae) // power over surface area Ae projected into cross-sectional area Ad * cos(?)

this is where you are going wrong

if you project the area of the detector onto the plane of the emitter the projected area will be 1.414

(think of your shadow at 5pm) the increased emitter area visible to the detector results in HIGHER flux and HIGHER radiance

if you project the area of the emitter onto the plane of the detector the projected area will be 0.707

(think of your shadow at 1pm) now you have the same flux compressed into a smaller area which results in HIGHER radiance

-- d? is equal to Ad // the solid angle is the same as the detector is always facing the emitter at normal incidence

YES you are correct about this ... can't you see how you are contradicting yourself above?

Your "non-lambertian geometry" concept is meaningless. "Lambertian" doesn't refer to any form of "geometry", at least not to do with aiming detectors and emitters at various angles with respect to each other. Lambert's cosine law simply makes an observation that at grazing angles, the flux tends to zero, and that is true in general:

300px-Lambert_Cosine_Law_1.svg.png

It may vary for various materials (that is where the BRDF comes in - the Lambertian model is simply a base case for the notion of BRDF) but it is completely unphysical for a surface to be able to emit constant flux (or, in general, flux which does not decrease at least as fast as cos(?) with view angle) at grazing angles, as that would mean it has infinite power. That is what you have been assuming all along, I believe. It just does not happen for any emitter which has area.

I would nevertheless like to thank you for making this thread as it has really challenged (and improved, in many ways) my understanding of radiance, radiant flux, etc..

You can not both understand Lambertian reflectance *and* disagree with my point

It is logically inconsistent

d²? is equal to P * (Ad / Ae)

P / Ae

power / area

W / m²

gives radiant exitance

radiant exitance * solid angle gives ...

W sr / m²

there is no such radiometric unit!

You need to divide by 2 pi to get radiant intensity (pi for a Lambertian surface)

then multiply by area Ae and solid angle Ad to get flux incident to detector

Your flux is proportional to the correct flux however

so this is a minor mistake, not the cause of your misunderstanding

Your interpretation is "radiance goes to infinity as view angle tends to 90 degrees". Yes or no?

300px-Lambert_Cosine_Law_2.svg.png

Do you understand this diagram? Yes or no? Can you see why radiance is independent of view angle? (in this case, I mean. with a BRDF it is obviously not constant)

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement