validating JTextField data from result set

Started by
0 comments, last by Angex 10 years, 11 months ago

hi guys,

I am trying to setup a login system where when a user enters his username and password and presses the login button, his username and password are sent in an SQL statements to be matched with a User in the database. if the username and password are correct(if they are matched in the database) a User object is created with all of the users data from the database and the user is brought to the Admin Dashboard

After doing a lot of research on Result sets etc and going through a lot of code, I still can not make it work in my system. Can anyone show me a good way to do this? Or tell me if there is something obvious wrong with this code?

At the moment when I enter in a username and password and press login I get an error in the console:

java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column index at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.setStringInternal(OraclePreparedStatement.java:5321) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.setString(OraclePreparedStatement.java:5309) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.setString(OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.java:280) at database.UserOperations.validateLog(UserOperations.java:45) at gui.Login$2.mouseClicked(Login.java:77)

some of the gui code

JButton btnLogin = new JButton("Login");
    btnLogin.addMouseListener(new MouseAdapter() {
        public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) {

UserOperations userOperations = new UserOperations();

ResultSet rset = userOperations.validateLog(textFieldUsername.getText(), textFieldPassword.getText());
            User user = null;
            try {
                if (rset.next()) {
                    user = new User(rset.getInt("userID"), rset.getString("userName"), rset.getString("userPassword"), rset.getString("securityQuestion"), rset.getString("securityAnswer"),
                        rset.getInt("adminRights"), rset.getString("email"), rset.getString("fName"), rset.getString("phoneNumber"), rset.getString("department"));

dispose();
                    AdminDashboard admin = new AdminDashboard();
                    admin.setVisible(true);

}
                else{

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Login fail!", "Error", JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE);
                }
            } catch (SQLException e2) {
                e2.printStackTrace();
            }

}
    });

validateLogin() method

public ResultSet validateLog(String username, String userpassword)
{
    try {
        String sql = "SELECT userid, username, userpassword, securityquestion, securityanswer, adminrights, email, fname, phonenumber, department FROM systeuser WHERE username = ? AND userpassword = ?";

stmt = conn.prepareStatement(sql);
        stmt.setString (2, username);
        stmt.setString (3, userpassword);
        rset = stmt.executeQuery ( );

}
    catch(Exception e){
        e.printStackTrace ( );
        JOptionPane.showMessageDialog (null, "Login Failed", null, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE);
    }
    return rset;

}

any help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement

In the validateLog() method, the prepared statement only has 2 placeholders, but you're supplying data to indices 2 & 3.

The index for placeholders starts from 1 smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement