• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent_M

gl_PointCoord Discolors Point

This topic is 1963 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a radial gradient of this particle texture I'm trying to put onto my particle's points via GL_POINTS. I've enabled GL_POINT_SPRITE, and I've also setup GL_COORD_REPLACE for the texture environment for GL_POINT_SPRITE. For some reason, I keep getting the results shown in the screenshot I have attached to this post.

Here are my vertex and fragment shaders:

// vertex shader
attribute vec4 a_position;
attribute vec4 a_color;
varying vec4 v_color;
uniform mat4 u_clipMat;
void main()
{
	v_color = a_color;
	gl_PointSize = 64.0;
	gl_Position = u_clipMat * a_position;
}

// fragment shader
varying vec4 v_color;
uniform sampler2D u_texture;
void main()
{
	gl_FragColor = texture2D(u_texture, gl_PointCoord) * v_color;
}

I have seriously been at this for hours. I've also tried different textures (32-bit RGBA textures that are used with 3D models), and I keep getting the same results. It seems that if I set texture2D to a specific vec2() coord, and multiply it by v_color, I'll get the same results if I have gl_PointCoord mentioned ANYWHERE in the shader at all. I could even declare a vec2 that I don't even use anywhere in the shader to gl_PointCoord, and it'd still yield the results in the screenshot unless I remove it. Once removed, it'll render the 1 texel from my texture multiplied by v_color with no discoloration. Also, if I set gl_FragColor to texture2D(u_texture, gl_PointCoord), and not multiply it by v_color, sometimes I get a textured point with no discoloration. Also, I can set gl_FragColor.a to the alpha in my texture, then set red, green, and blue to some random literal in the shader directly, but as soon as I start setting gl_FragColor's components to v_color at all, then I get the same discoloration shown at the bottom. Also, if I just set gl_FragColor to v_color, and do not mention gl_PointCoord AT ALL, I get the solid v_color with no discoloration.

Edited by Vincent_M

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!