• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkon

[XNA] COLLADA Deled3D editor

This topic is 1955 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys, lately i started working on my game's levels and i found Deled3D to be an amazing product, extremely easy to use, fantastic material manager, but i had only a simple problem regarding custom models and exporting : 

Every time i export the scene in any format, for each mesh it saves all it's data ( vertices, normals, UVs and more ) while i only want it to save either the models name or it's directory. 

If i didn't make myself clear, here's what i would like : 

Instead of : 

<geometry id="mesh2-geometry" name="88_trailer2">
      <mesh>
        <source id="mesh2-geometry-position">
          <float_array id="mesh2-geometry-position-array" count="7071">
<!-- HERE ALL VERTICES,NORMALS, UVs -->
          </float_array>
        </source>
      </mesh>

I'd simply like :

<geometry id="mesh2-geometry" name="88_trailer2">
      <mesh>
        <source id="mesh2-geometry-position" src="MODEL NAME or PATH TO MODEL" />
      </mesh>

Is there any way to achieve it without manually doing it after exporting the scene ?. This also dramatically decreases the file's size and allows me to reuse models across different scenes without reloading them each time.

Thanks for the time and feel free to suggest other tools aswell! 

Happy coding!

Edited by Sparkon

Advertisement

The easiest (and most used) solution is to not import your model into the scene, instead import a far more basic primitive and use that as a a place holder. For this id recommend using a cuboid, and also set information in the object tag for that cuboid in DeleD to point to the model you'll load in your game. DeleD does not come with the ability to strip geometry from files automatically, and if it did I think it would frustrate far more people than it would help.

Once you have exported, either just ignore the place holders when you are loading your scene in game, or create a tool your self to strip the unwanted tags from the XML file.

Aimee

The easiest (and most used) solution is to not import your model into the scene, instead import a far more basic primitive and use that as a a place holder. For this id recommend using a cuboid, and also set information in the object tag for that cuboid in DeleD to point to the model you'll load in your game. DeleD does not come with the ability to strip geometry from files automatically, and if it did I think it would frustrate far more people than it would help.

Once you have exported, either just ignore the place holders when you are loading your scene in game, or create a tool your self to strip the unwanted tags from the XML file.

Aimee

Thank you for answering me, that's a good idea, i'll probably go for that and write a content processor that will discard all the vertex data.

Thank you and happy coding!

Edited by Sparkon

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!