Another X vs. Y thread: Java + GWT vs. JavaScript

Started by
4 comments, last by Electronaut 10 years, 11 months ago
Hello,

I have recently come up with an idea for a game. I am more of an instant gratification type of person, so I realize that it may be best to start making the game by myself in a basic form rather than applying for a game tester job and trying to work my way up the ranks, especially since this is more of a hobby at this point.

Anyway, my goal is to make a browser based text RPG with artwork from a friend implemented later on. I'd like it to be functional in most web browsers and smartphones. After doing a little research, I found that the Google Web Toolkit would be a great way of doing that. However, it seems to be using Java, and from what I understand, JavaScript is a language better suited for web design when it comes to a beginner like me. I have very basic knowledge of programming (HTML) and I have started going through the Java tutorial, but I am afraid it may end up being something that may be outside of my learning capabilities. Right now I have 3 day weekends and nothing better to do, so I have a good chunk of time available and I'd like to fill it as soon as possible.

So my question for those who may be experienced with one or both of these languages is: What would be a better option for what I intend to do?

Thank you
Advertisement

Java is better for beginners than JavaScript because you don't have to learn HTML and you get consistent compilation to bytecode instead of randomly not working on a certain browser with a certain combination of plugins.

If you like instant gratification you may be better off with something simpler to use and more visual such as Construct 2 or Game Maker (or perhaps the free alternative ENIGMA, but I don't know much about it). These types of packages are pretty capable and would be more than able to handle a text based RPG with simple graphics, and they're able to target all the platforms you're interested in. You would also find it much more approachable, especially if you've been struggling with your initial programming efforts. Both have free trial versions and are pretty reasonably priced.

Otherwise if that doesn't interest you I'd probably agree with the above that Java may be the simpler of the two options for you to get started with.

Hope that helps! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would like to point out that if you create the game with javascript, you can run it in the browser. If you go with something like libGDX then you are writing it in Java and converting it into javascript, so there are more layers to confuse you, but you can support many different platforms.

However, this doesn't address the problem of creating a fun game. I am of the belief that if your prototype game with crappy graphics and hacked UI is not fun, no amount of polish is going to help. So going with a framework like libGDX or GameMaker to prototype as easily as possible is a good idea. Once you have the game it is a lot easier to port it to different platforms. Until you know what you've got you might not even be sure which platforms should be supported.

Just my two cents.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Learn JavaScript. It's a pretty easy language to learn because it has loose typing, and it is the "native" browser langauge. I've used GWT and found it to be cumbersome and annoying. Do things the right way. Also, if you do it in JavaScript, it will be supported in mobile browsers.

Thank you so much for the replies, everyone. I'm trying out Construct 2 right now, it's pretty fun. This is a lot more encouraging than drudging through those Oracle tutorials, haha. I really appreciate everyone's input.

If I end up making something interesting I'll keep this thread bookmarked and post it here.

Cheers and thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement