Making a 2d side-scrolling MMORPG like "MapleStory"

Started by
16 comments, last by khaledsh 10 years, 10 months ago

hello world smile.png

well lets get straight into this, I have a dream of making a 2d side-scrolling MMORPG that is simmiler to "MapleStory" (but it will be a local game that is playable in one country.)
The storyline and game design document are ready. I know that implementation is super hard but im ready to do whatever it takes to make those words become alive.

so can someone please answer me these questions:

-what should I do now and how many team members will I need? I already know alot of people in my university who are interested and have some skills in programming, designing, and soundtracks.

-what software should we start with? for each one of us (programmers, designers,etc...)

-how can we make the game local (works only in one country)

-how can we host the game and connect players with each other (there will be a maximum of approximately 5k players)?

I know that its a long way to go, but as I said, IM READY FOR ANYTHING!

please dont waste your time telling me that its really hard to get that done, because I know that already =)

and sry for my bad english biggrin.png

Advertisement

I started writing games with the same I CAN DO IT NOT MATTER WHAT attitude as you haha. The fact is you are not ready for anything. If you don't know where to start and mmorpg you are not ready to start an mmorpg. What you could do is make a mario clone, and build up from there. Learn the fundamentals: rendering, collision, audio, dialog boxes, combat, ect. Build your game as a single player game and then figure out how to network it later. SFML 2.0 is wonderful you should check it out. It has modules for Rendering, Audio, Network, input, everything you could possibly want as a starting developer.

I'm not telling you it's REALLY HARD to get done, I'm telling you its near IMPOSSIBLE if you haven't started with the basics. If you cannot make a single player game, you most certainty cannot make a mmorpg! I learned the hard way by ignoring everyones advice and wasting all of high school not finishing projects.

Start with a kick-ass single player game; make the sequel multiplayer!

Let me sumarize it this way:

difficulty, cost and resource for making single player game = 1

multi player game of similar calibur with added multiplayer = 10

mmo = 100

Depends, are you going for paid or free software? Desktop or mobile? In house solutions or market solutions?

For your developers you will need an engine, there are several good ones on the market. If you want the game to be mobile (which I don't really recommend, MMO and mobile don't really blend well), there are few free ones, but they are mostly limited (specially in the network part). My favorite is ORX, because it is C based, but AFAIK the most popular one is CoCos 2d. If you are willing to pay, a lot of people uses unity3D, which is 3D engine, but can be used for 2D games as well, with some tricks.

If you are going for desktop there are many more 2D engines, such as Pygame, Allegro for free engines.

There are loads of engines out there, you should take a good look, those are just some examples that may give you a direction.

For your artists, the basic free solutions are Inkscape and GIMP, maybe you will need more. I don't know what paid solutions are used.

Also, you may want to have someone that is dedicated directly to the network, creating a protocol that support a MMO is very hard, specially if you are using multithreads. There is a paid SDK called Photon that is dedicated for network, you should have a look at it.

Making a game work in a single country is impossible unless you have a mail confirmation system (the person registers, you send a letter with a code to the adress and the person has to enter the code to complete the registration). Limiting by IP won't do any good simply because there are proxies. Asking for documents is also useless as most documents are easily generated (see Ragnarok Online 2, for instance). My advice here is DON'T TRY, if people want to play your game, let them, it is very hard to get people into your game, forbidden people to play won't gain you anything but hurt feelings.

I didn't understand the forth question, do you want your clients to host the games? That is usually a bad idea, cause clients will lie and lie a lot =p

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

please dont waste your time telling me that its really hard to get that done, because I know that already =)

I won't tell you it's really hard to get that done.

It's impossible to get it done, for anyone without significant game development experience to begin with. It's only really hard when you already have a significant amount of experience under your belt.

No one's asked to see the design doc yet?

Let me sumarize it this way:

difficulty, cost and resource for making single player game = 1

multi player game of similar calibur with added multiplayer = 10

mmo = 100

Actually I wouldn't be too discouraging about multiplayer game difficulty. While it is certainly more difficult to create a multiplayer game than a single player game, I don't think it is by an order of magnitude. Or at least, it doesn't have to be.

That being said, scaling up to MASSIVELY is definitely not for the feint of heart. Technical issues aside, generating appropriate content for players who are not necessarily "playing together" and enough of it for massive numbers playing in the world at the same time without stepping all over each other is an enormous challenge.

What language? If C++, I have some suggestions, but I'd never tell a beginner to start trying to make a 2d side-scroller MMORPG game. If I were talking to an experienced programmer, I'd suggest...

Can you make a map? I'd suggest looking at Tiled

Can you make characters and animate them? I suggest looking at Gimp for creation and Spriter for animation.

Can you handle all the input, drawing, audio, windowing? I suggest looking at SFML

Can you handle 2d physics? I suggest looking at chipmunk-physics or box2d

Can you handle networking? I'd suggest looking at RakNet

Good luck. Learn as much as you can, and always get better.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

I wouldn't even tell an experienced game developer to make an MMO.

Seriously developing an MMO is like ten games in one, even a small one. Not only is it incredibly difficult to do, but in most cases unless you have a whole team backing you up and a serious gameplan you're just going to waste your time anyway. There are not many people cut out to make MMO's, and the few ones that are running from humble beginnings(i.e. runescape) started as pet projects and happened to find an audience.

I just really couldn't convey the absurd amount of work that an MMO requires without you actually trying it yourself, there are no words to describe it. Not impossible by far but usually enough work to not even be worth the investment.

Honestly I've heard "i'm ready for anything" or "I can do anything given enough time" enough times to make me sick, if you really want to develop games then work on games that are more realistic. Re-evaluate your idea in the future when you are sufficiently experienced.

For the record, not one person that has said any of those phrases to me ever actually did what they promised they would do. I think the people that really -will- succeed are the ones that realize that they may not be able to pull it off.

What you could do is make a mario clone, and build up from there.

Given your mentality and what you want to do, this is the best advice for you. Start by making one part of your maple story like 2d MMORPG and branch out from there. I mean, they never coulda made maplestory without a very basic platformer game at its base, so you should start in the same place.

Once you have that, maybe you want to build a town and make all that work, you'll need to do an inventory system at some point too. But the point is, no matter how big your ultimate goal is, you still have to break it up into smaller pieces.

Good Luck!

I'm working on a game! It's called "Spellbook Tactics". I'd love it if you checked it out, offered some feedback, etc. I am very excited about my progress thus far and confident about future progress as well!

http://infinityelephant.wordpress.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement