• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
n00b101

Can someone tell me where to start in game development?

4 posts in this topic

I want to start creating games, but I'm quite far off the mark, as it seems. Can anyone give me some course of learning? Some advice? Anything?

I would like some sort of outline on starting and where to start; I don't care if I have to start with just moving an image from one point to another, but some sort of framework on this, even abstract, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm (re)learning Python, and I'm taking an Autodesk Maya and Photoshop course over the summer.

I've heard that 3DGS (3D Game Studio) is great for a beginner. Any thoughts on that?

Can you tell me the tools used in making games (game engine, IDE, etc)

Anyone there to help? Please? Thanks!

Edited by n00b101

Entirely depends on what you -want- to do. Do you WANT to learn programming? What kind of games are you interested in making?

There are very different paths for an artist that wants to make some 2d games with some "game maker" software vs someone who wants to be a professional coder and programming is their favorite hobby.

There's no single good answer, but Unity3D isn't a bad tool to start with. It doesn't require a lot of scripting to get something up and running. I recommend you do some tutorials or buy a book about it.

Satharis write it pretty well.

I'm (re)learning Python, and I'm taking an Autodesk Maya and Photoshop course over the summer.

If you are talking about doing this as a profession, you need to pick one.  Choose between a) Programmer b) Modeler c) Animator.  Once you choose it you need to become completely awesome in that one field to get a job.  Remember that you do not compete in a vacuum, you compete against people who spend their days and nights drawing an animating and programming since they were age five.

If you are talking about doing it as a hobby, then by all means tinker in all three.  

There is little commercial demand for someone who does not pick a specialty, but if you are doing it as a hobby because you like doing it, then enjoy your hobby.

Here's the path I am on as a beginner in game development as a programmer:

1. Learned basics of python at Codecademy.

2. Learned basics of the pygame library with the free online book "Making Games with Python & Pygame."

3. Learned basics of GitHub and version control through the tutorials on the GitHub website.

4. Created tile-based battleship clone with pygame to learn basic game concepts like animating tiles, list manipulation, text manipulation, event handling, etc.

5. Created sprite-based space invaders clone with pygame. Concepts included collision detection, event timing, basic computer AI, sprite handling, etc.

6. Created a level editor for one of the tutorial games in the Making Games book. Concepts included camera handling and file handling.

Next will be a pacman clone to learn more advanced AI, pathfinding, sound handling, and more experience with making a level editor.

I put this together mainly through articles like this one on Lazy Foo's website. Good luck and don't forget the most important thing is to finish. No matter how simple you think it is.