• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

What is a voxel mold?

This topic is 1961 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am right now looking at the recast/detour library set. At first sight, I don't quite get the meaning of voxel mold.

Are there any illustrations for this?

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Advertisement

It basically just means that they convert your polygonal mesh into a voxel representation of the same scene. They use a grid of blocks (voxels) instead of random triangles.

In basic terms, yes, in the same way that a 2D square is a pixel.

Using the technical definition, a pixel isn't actually a little 2D square, but it's a "sample point" in 2D space, and a voxel is a sample point in 3D space... but yes, calling it a 3D block in a grid of blocks is close enough to the truth wink.png

As with pixels, voxels can hold different kinds of data. e.g. you can have a 2D image that stores colours in the pixels, or you could have a black and white 2D image that represents areas that are solid or non-solid for collision detection.

The kind of voxels that you're talking about are basically a 3D grid of cubes, which are either solid or passable.

21QkDPO.png

Now that I have the tiled mesh indicated in the picture. You see first that there are incomplete tiles/half tiles. Would that affect the way I program A*? or they can be treated as full tiles? I see there is a save button there, how would I use the tiled mesh data in the pathfinding? I mean are there any docs on it? There are also many triangular areas

Thanks

Jack

Edited by lucky6969b

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!