• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

Blending Normal Maps

This topic is 1869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I'd like to create my base normal map in a 3d program (3ds) by baking high poly to low, then add fine detail in either Photoshop or my own program. I did research and there doesn't seem to be a good method, they are either blended in Photoshop (bad) or in a shader; I think that's because the tutorials aren't written by programmers.

I was thinking I can convert the two normal maps to vectors then combine them with a weighted sum, renormalize and convert them back to a normal texture. Will that be correct ? Do I just add the vector components or do I only offset them with the binormal and tangent parts of the fine detail map. I'm not really sure how to do it.

Thanks.

Advertisement

In the days of Doom3's development, using Maya, they would model all the detail they needed into the hi-poly model, then created a plugin that would spit out a low-poly model, and a normal map to 'recapture' the detail that was lost in the polycount reduction when rendered on the low-poly model.

That was ten years ago.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!