Random Continent Generating With Perlin Noise

Started by
4 comments, last by Barrett 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello!

I have got a problem with random map generation.

I'm trying to generate a map based on fantastic Perlin noise.

Here my results

84df35003a0f42f3ac21851.th.png396981a3b2684d059b8feed.th.png55b8feee3be543c6a7d6ce7.th.png

And now I want to create only a continent with nearest islands.

I tried to use Gauss function for reducing squares far from center and I tried to use a simple circular reduction for ignoring squares far from center.

Both of this ways gives me a map with good-loking maps, but with circular contour of reduction at edges of reduction zone.

Here an example

a3b30e4f834642839a4b8f6.th.png

I need your opinion to solve this problrm. What another methodics I can use to create best random maps? wink.png

I'm using C#.

Thanks in advance!

Denis

P.S. Sorry for my English

Advertisement

Grow/shrink the circle using 1D perlin noise? Make the radius a function of the angle, something like this:

// PerlinNoise1D(x) returns a value in [0, 1]

radius = radius * (PerlinNoise1D(angle) + 0.5);

I found a solution that look like good for me.

I 'm creating a radom "fuzzy" rectangle as reduction area/

Here are some examples

040ed4232e7d422d82c503b.th.png7eb4aa7a04b24f138a8a945.th.png

And get some maps like that

7b16caaff11e45fcb9fd129.th.png

It looks nice.

Any ideas of improving this algorythm?

Grow/shrink the circle using 1D perlin noise? Make the radius a function of the angle, something like this:

Oh, good idea! I will try it and upload here some results.

Oh, good idea! I will try it and upload here some results.

Here's some results for you:

CK9dbvJ.png

Since you are using a 1D function indexed by angle, the pattern ends up as a randomized star-like shape. You can't generate disconnected islands this way. All pixels lying along a given angle will use the same radius.

However, if you use a 2D noise function, indexed by (x,y) to modify the radius, you can get some disconnects:

radius=radius+noise2(x,y)
Gk5mgAf.png

Pixels lying along a given angle won't use the same radius, so some pixels further out might use a shorter radius than pixels lying nearer in. This means that voids, or holes, open up, providing the necessary turbulence to create disconnects.

Oh, thank you so much!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement