• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Medo Mex

Explosion

This topic is 2039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I created a particle engine and looking for a way to animate particles to create explosion.

I have the following properties:

- Velocity

- Wind

- Gravity

- Size

- Texture UV

How should I animate the particles to create explosion exactly like the following?

[attachment=15653:explosion-fire-wallpaper.jpg]

Advertisement

Can't I do explosion similar to the one in the photo by using billboards only?

Yeah, with a lot of work you should be able to get something that looks roughly similar (getting accurate lighting might be tough though) to that with billboards. You'll probably need keyframe support for changing size/velocity over time.

For instance, this was done with billboards:

">

However, it'll take a significant amount of technical and artistic talent to get the right base textures and figure out how to control their number, size, velocity to approximate that kind of look. So while it's possible, it won't necessarily be easy.

Edited by phil_t

You could run some games with PIX, capture a frame when explosion occur to examine and approximate how it was done.

I have no idea what modern large FPS game do... I'm sure the answer is varied. Probably some use plain billboards, but I suspect a lot of them would use a more techniques that incorporate proper lighting and better performance.

I second belfegor's recommendation to look at some in PIX.

I'd write a volumetric renderer directly into the engine of your game which caches into a texture atlas and repieces these billboard textures together during realtime rendering. I bet you can even bake proper normal maps for the volumes' textures (I mean, appropriately retaining light scattering/propagation effects). Your atlas probably will need a 2 dimensional structure; for variety and sequence. Investigate ways to handle occlusional and blending effects (for the flowing layers of fire vs smoke).

I have the following properties:

- Velocity

- Wind

- Gravity

- Size

- Texture UV

WTF. The top 3 can all be unified into a single property with acceleration controlled by a single parameter and the use of vector addition for any combination of forces (just let the acceleration be an open input which may be manipulated however desired). 'Size' is pretty ambiguous. Texture UV... wtf, well idk how that's useful.

By the way, why are you trying to generalize? You're trying to make an explosion. I promise that you won't get it looking as good as you want it to look if you start with a senseless set of maybe-good parameters. Hardcode it, foo. There's no point in generalizing it. I promise. Don't. Don't. Don't. Don't. Just generalize a point-billboard system. That's as far as you need.

Edited by Reflexus

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!