Beginner wanting to learn how to program CCG

Started by
2 comments, last by superboi 10 years, 11 months ago

Hi there, thank you for having a site like this. I have stumbled upon this site while searching for a way to learn programming browser games, mainly ccg games.

I am inspired by the game Kongregate's Tyrant. Please check it out.

So, I wanted to know what programs or methods the maker had used to make it. Please guide me for I am a newbie at network programming. So far I have touched programming languages such as VB, and had self-learned myself with Adobe Flash.

My learning of Adobe Flash has halted because I was told by a friend, who is a game developer, to learn Unity instead. He told me that Unity will become popular soon and that Flash will disappear and be replaced by Unity.

Now, I'm in a dilemma. All I wanted is to make a 2d game (with a bit of 3d). He said unity can do that too. So, I gotta start from scratch on learning Unity.

Please check the game Tyrant. And please advise. TY!

Advertisement

I'll save a few people the need to google:

"ccg games" = "collectible card game games"

I think your friend is slightly off the mark. Flash is here, and works, right now. It's not going away anytime soon.
Once it goes away, it will probably be subsumed by HTML5/JavaScript/Canvas/WebGL/Video-tag/SVG, rather than Unity.
Unity is a fine game making editor/environment, although it is much more aimed at 3D than 2D. It also doesn't have good integration with remote web services (the WebClient implementation isn't very good) like you would want for a turn-based game like a CCG.

So, my recommendation would be:
- If possible, write your game in HTML5 and JavaScript! This will make it run on all web browsers (including Apple phones and tablets)
- Else, keep going with Flash. It's a fine platform for 2D games right now.

There's the whole back-end part. You need to figure out both a language, and a server environment, that lets you serve the game, enforce rules, and keep track of player state; ideally without letting the client be open to cheating. If you already know JavaScript, Node.js might be a good choice (assuming you can host it somewhere.) If you want to use low-cost shared web hosting, PHP is the best supported environment for that, and would also work.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I just searched about HTML5 and JavaScript, and it looks cool to learn. It has good tutorials.

The reason I'm learning flash is because it is user-friendly and the canvas (I don't know what to call it; the one where you draw or put pictures onto) is already there. It's like you just put the pictures there in the canvas then you add code to make that picture do what you want.

However, I wont mind to learn from scratch if it is what I have to learn. So, if you think the game that inspired me to learn (Tyrant, a ccg online browser game) could have been made by using HTML5 and JavaScript, then I'll gladly learn those.

Thank you so much. I hope to make a good and similar game like his.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement