Games production - Is IT degree sufficient?

Started by
6 comments, last by Hodgman 10 years, 11 months ago

Hi people, (forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place, I'm new)

I've just taken up a IT degree and is two terms into it. It might be because I am still in the early stages of the programme, but I've come to wonder if it would be sufficient to get me a job as a software developer or a game developer. I understand that it requires years of experience and in some cases, a masters degree to land a job at the larger software development companies, but does my degree open the door to that?

The degree has a major in software development, comes from an accredited university, and it covers

-Game production

-Applications programming

-Database management

-Software development

-Wireless and cloud development

-Networking

-Web multimedia

-Web programming

-*Several programming courses that cover Java, Python etc.

I'm in doubt, as I've tried reading up on the prospects of IT degree, and most sources indicated that IT degrees point to jobs such as systems analysts, I.T administrators, and database developers instead of software developers.

Would appreciate it if I could ask for some advice on this and tap on the experience of the community here. Thanks.

Advertisement

My gut feeling is that this is going to be at least as good a degree as any other if you want to get into the games industry as a programmer. But I'd strongly recommend you do some games specific stuff on the side. Learning C/C++ and/or putting together a game or demo together is going to massively improve your chances.

wonder if it would be sufficient to get me a job as a software developer or a game developer.

No. A degree alone is not sufficient. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson49.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

wonder if it would be sufficient to get me a job as a software developer or a game developer.

No. A degree alone is not sufficient. http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson49.htm

I appreciate your reply and do agree that one should constantly seek improvements. However, by "enough", I do not refer to the end of the learning phase, but one which would allow me to sustain the first segment of that journey. I believe that as humans, we are all bounded by the harshness of reality, that we cannot keep up the preparations for that first step forever, we do need a job, be it a good or a poor one to keep ourselves alive and move closer towards the places we seek. I apologise for the poor phrasing.

Appreciate the replies, they are helpful.

You are much better off with the general Comp-Sci Degree, than the specific GameDev degree (which would be relevant only to games industry and in itself is far from enough to land a job there).

With the CompSci degree, you have your doors open to ALL other SW companies (not just a small subset of the games companies).

If you spend enough free time to work on the games portfolio, that - coupled with CompSci - will be enough to land a job in gamedev area, eventually.

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

I would recommend a CompSci degree, but like you, I also just did an IT degree, with a major in Software Engineering.
Just take as many CompSci and Software subjects as you can, and if there's any computer graphics, math (linear algebra and ODEs) or physics available to you, then consider those classes too.

However, if you just get the degree by itself, you won't be an attractive hire. You actually need to be making games yourself, outside of university over the next few years!

In my case, I worked on a total-conversion of Half-Life with an Internet-based team, which ended up being my main portfolio piece. I used this to get a job as a game programmer before I'd finished my degree, which forced me to slowly complete it over time through distance-education.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement