Assimp issue

Started by
15 comments, last by Krauser 10 years, 11 months ago

I'm trying to load a mesh in my application using assimp. But this work well only with the format .stl, but with other format only a part of mesh is displayed. This is my code:

bool ModelClass::LoadModel(char* filename)
{
	Assimp::Importer m_LocalImporter;

// Important! Makes sure that if the angle between two face normals is > 80 they are not smoothed together.
	// Since the angle between a cubes face normals is 90 the lighting looks very bad if we don't specify this.
	m_LocalImporter.SetPropertyFloat(AI_CONFIG_PP_GSN_MAX_SMOOTHING_ANGLE, 80.0f);	
	m_LocalImporter.SetPropertyInteger(AI_CONFIG_IMPORT_TER_MAKE_UVS, 1);
	m_LocalImporter.SetPropertyInteger(AI_CONFIG_PP_SBP_REMOVE, aiPrimitiveType_LINE);

const aiScene* scene = NULL;
	UINT NumMeshes;
	UINT NumFaces;
	scene = m_LocalImporter.ReadFile(filename,
	aiProcess_CalcTangentSpace |
	aiProcess_Triangulate |
	aiProcess_GenSmoothNormals |
	aiProcess_SplitLargeMeshes |
	aiProcess_ConvertToLeftHanded |
	aiProcess_SortByPType);

if(scene)
	{
		NumMeshes = scene->mNumMeshes;

for(DWORD nMesh=0; nMesh < NumMeshes; nMesh++)
			{
				aiMesh* mesh = scene->mMeshes[nMesh];

for(DWORD nVertex = 0; nVertex < mesh->mNumVertices; nVertex++)
				{
					VertexType vertex;
					vertex.position.x = mesh->mVertices[nVertex].x;
					vertex.position.y = mesh->mVertices[nVertex].y;
					vertex.position.z = mesh->mVertices[nVertex].z;

vertex.normal.x = mesh->mNormals[nVertex].x;
					vertex.normal.y = mesh->mNormals[nVertex].y;
					vertex.normal.z = mesh->mNormals[nVertex].z;

if(mesh->HasTextureCoords(0))
					{
						vertex.texture.x = mesh->mTextureCoords[0][nVertex].x;
						vertex.texture.y = mesh->mTextureCoords[0][nVertex].y;
					}

vVertices.push_back(vertex);
				}

for(DWORD nFaces = 0; nFaces < mesh->mNumFaces; nFaces++)
				for(int nIndex = 0; nIndex < mesh->mFaces[nFaces].mNumIndices; nIndex++)
				vIndices.push_back(mesh->mFaces[nFaces].mIndices[nIndex]);

}

}
	else
	{
		return false;
	}

return true;
}

Screen:

OBJ format:

1el0eq.png

STL format:

2dlu7ax.png

My obj file:

http://rs513p2.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/rsapi.cgi?sub=download&fileid=1246163158&filename=Car.obj&cookie=D43D984F2E4AAF9B40F185DD2D28279357615E833B8E80DC2D92A141C94A16B373D0E30E4AE683200DF2331CE0130B0B&directstart=1

Advertisement

Are the number of aiMeshes (mNumMeshes) the same when loading .obj and .stl? It looks like the wheels/lower parts of the mesh aren't rendered for .obj files.

Have you tried other 3d models than this one?

Thanks for reply.

No they aren't, the number of mesh change because the model has been converted. This is my problem, my application don't display all meshes of model.

Have you tried to open both of these meshes with the Assimp Viewer?

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

Yes, both of these meshes with the Assimp Viewer are displayed correctly. I don't understand because my engine doesn't load all the meshes

I can check it in my application, just upload this .obj model if you can.

Direct link:

http://rs513p2.rapidshare.com/cgi-bin/rsapi.cgi?sub=download&fileid=1246163158&filename=Car.obj&cookie=D43D984F2E4AAF9B40F185DD2D28279357615E833B8E80DC2D92A141C94A16B373D0E30E4AE683200DF2331CE0130B0B&directstart=1

hm it displayed correctly in my engine, and i cant find error in your code o.0 only thing im not sure is flag "aiProcess_SplitLargeMeshes" maybe it just not working?

I think you can just get correct indices and vertices count for each part of mesh, and draw it via separate drawcall tongue.png

Just suggesting, can you try to remove these and check the results:

aiProcess_SplitLargeMeshes
aiProcess_SortByPType

and

m_LocalImporter.SetPropertyInteger(AI_CONFIG_PP_SBP_REMOVE, aiPrimitiveType_LINE);
Sometimes these can cause problems to me...

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

The problem should be the hierarchy of your object. In your code-snippet you don't traverse the node-objects. In every node a local matrix is stored which you can use to transform your vertices. In the stl-file the matrices should all be an identity-matrix so your modell is displayed correctly without transforming. In .obj there should be differences.

In my own model-loader I'm also struggling with transforming the vertices with the local matrices. There are all interpreted but I think the local positions and matrices don't match in my case. Or my hierarchy is wrong.

So when you figured out how to display it correctly, you could post your code here.

Update: Your car.obj works fine in my application

2r7lpo8.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement