• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stein102

C++ 2d Game engine

This topic is 1935 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm switching from Java development to C++ and feel I've learned the basics of C++ and want to test my knowledge by creating a few basic 2d games. I want to find a solid engine to use so I can focus on just practicing the language. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Guest Hiwas

For C++ specifically, I think the field is a bit limited in terms of full 2D 'engines'.  There are libraries and bits and pieces here and there but the only one I can really think of is probably Torque 2D (http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d) though there is a lot of reliance on Torque Script.  Beyond that, I'm not sure about C++ engines for 2D.

Look into HGE. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like what you need, and it seems to be good.

While SFML is not an engine, but rather a framework, I think it is a great starting point anyway. It has a large community, good tutorials and follows object oriented design principles. Setting it up is quite easy and getting something to show up on the screen is a matter of minutes.

It doesn't have an editor, physics or anything else a proper game engine might have though.

FWIW, for 2d Games, I used SFML for graphics, audio, input, and windowing, I use a 2d physics library (chipmunk-physics is what I use, but box2d is good too) for movement and collision.  You can look into Tiled to build nice tile-based maps, and I use tinyxml for parsing xml file used in configuration, etc.

FWIW, I detail making a 2d game in my Old Blog (linked in my signature) where I use SFML, chipmunk-physics, and tinyxml.

Good luck.

I do have one gem for ya:

http://www.compilgames.net/

Although at first glance it appears to use "No programming necessary" style events, it does compile these events with C++. And, if you like, you can go out on your own and write real C++ code - without much hassle.

Things like a lack of mobile support do cramp my style somewhat. But, for desktops only, it is C++, easy to use, and includes all you need to create most any game.

So if you want an 2D engine, and you require C++, this is all I know of.

Try Oxygine: http://oxygine.org/

It is open source Modern hardware accelerated 2D C++ framework for mobile and PC platforms.

Features: OpenGLES 1/2, compressed textures, atlases, complex animations/tweens/sprites, scene graph, fonts, event handling, build tools, and others. Can be built on top of SDL2.0 or Marmalade SDK.

Edited by frankinshtein

Try cocos2d-x. It's a cross-platform 2d game engine. once you're done with your game, you can easily port it to iOS and share you game to the world :) Happy coding!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!