how these are implemented ?

Started by
2 comments, last by Ludus 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello Guys ,

I am developing a game in which character performs special actions while jumping .

Like .. for walls with more height , character first grabs the edge and pull himself up . What i want to know how these things are implemented ??? i know that it involves animation but how our animations interact with the surroundings . I want to understand these things . I tried searching it but couldn't find anything(may be wrong keywords :P ) .

Advertisement

It would first involve doing a sort of collision detection to check if the edge is within grabbing range (in some games this is only done if the "climbing" button or direction is held). If the check is successful, the character would go into a "climbing state" (disabling actions that could be performed in the walking/jumping state) and snap onto the ledge based on its position. During this climbing state the character would be restricted to a few actions such as pulling himself up, dropping down, or moving along the edge. Animations would be handled similar to any other kind of action that involves an animation.

Short answer: it's done through collision detection and character states.

Thanks Ludus ....

Do you have any related tutorial ?? I started learning Mecanim in unity . Hoping I am on right path .

It would first involve doing a sort of collision detection to check if the edge is within grabbing range (in some games this is only done if the "climbing" button or direction is held). If the check is successful, the character would go into a "climbing state" (disabling actions that could be performed in the walking/jumping state) and snap onto the ledge based on its position. During this climbing state the character would be restricted to a few actions such as pulling himself up, dropping down, or moving along the edge. Animations would be handled similar to any other kind of action that involves an animation.

Short answer: it's done through collision detection and character state

Do you have any related tutorial ??

No, I'm sorry. Like with all questions that are this specific, the exact implementation depends on how the rest of your engine is already set up. How does your game handle character states such as walking? The climbing state would be implemented in very much the same way. How does your game determine and change a character to the state of walking? Changing the character to the state of climbing would be done in a very similar way as well (of course, with ledge detection instead).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement