• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ross

Where to begin?

This topic is 1955 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all! I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who's willing to help me out. I recently started getting into the idea of programming and although I'm new to it all, I was looking into c++ programming. I went out and bought a book and have been reading up on it the past few days. I'm surprisingly really enjoying it. However, I read c++ isn't for game logic scripting, but instead more for game engines. So is c# what I'm looking for? I've been playing around with unity as have a few friends of mine. They don't want to program which is fine because I like the idea of breathing life into something a developer designs through scripting. Is c++ useless for getting up and started? Would it just be beneficial to start with c# so I can get up and running relatively quick?(I understand I have much to learn before I'm up and running on a decent level) Or should I just keep on it with c++? I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere but I'm new to this site. Hell, I'm pretty green with everything. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Advertisement

If you're just interested in using unity you should be learning unity scripting.

C++ works fine for game logic, other languages are usually embedded for scripting simply because there are a few advantages to it, such as:

• Can reload game logic without having to recompile or relaunch.
  • Can develop more of an encapsulated system that shields you from a lot of the game engine work, focusing on gameplay developing functions and such.
  • Other languages may have less verbose or just more friendly syntax for scripting than C++, letting you throw together scripts faster along with the other reasons.
  • For team projects, scripting can be much more understandable to people like designers or a project lead or something, non-code people.

Granted you could make a scripting language with C++ syntax anyway, and still get some of the above benefits, other languages are just usually used because they are more friendly and may be set up for easy embedding with an interpreter already.

But all that is kind of useless info, don't learn to code unless you want to learn to code. If you just want to script then learn to script.

Edited by Satharis

Would it just be beneficial to start with c# so I can get up and running relatively quick?

If, by relative, you mean an order of magnitude, then yes.

They don't want to program which is fine because I like the idea of breathing life into something a developer designs through scripting

Not everyone is born an engine programmer and that's perfectly fine. Someone [other than engine coder] has to write those scripts or the gameplay code. Unless you try out all areas, you don't really know.

Is c++ useless for getting up and started?

I'm writing it as a recent convert from C++ (10+ yrs) to C# , but At this time and age - Yes. There are way easier languages to make a career of than C++. Unless, of course, you are one of the few who - in particular - love the challenge thrown into the ring.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!