graphics in dos help

Started by
11 comments, last by flip5577 21 years, 10 months ago
Hey i am working on a lil simple game for my programming class but i dont know how to use graphics in dos. I know you can use graphics in doss because i have seen games with graphics. For example what graphic file can be imported into a program or used. example- i am making a rocket racer game and i need to have pics for each rocket you race and your rocket. I will use gotoxy for the placement of the pic but how to i bring in the pic is there a certain file type? or something that i have to Larry Charles CEO Centra Entertainment Studios
Larry CharlesCentra Entertainment Studios
Advertisement
Blah, Kirby is your mother!!!
quote:Original post by flip5577
For example what graphic file can be imported into a program or used.

DOS graphics programming takes more than importing a file, though you can find libraries to do most of the work. I''d advise you to look into Allegro.
Hmmm... Just looking at two basic facts you are supplying: it''s for programming class, and it''s for DOS.

This leads me to believe your programming class isn''t very ''advanced''. In such cases, Tetris often works great Just use gotoxy to plot colored ''spaces'' on the screen. When done right, you can get a great effect with minimum effort. T''was the first game Iever created, and got an A+ for it
I just noticed something...

Larry Charles
CEO Centra Entertainment Studios

LOL!

Why not create a Win32 game with OpenGL or DirectX? You should be capable of doing so, since you got your own "Software Company"
quote:Original post by Ronin_54
I just noticed something...

Larry Charles

LOL!

Didn''t want to say anything about that. I think a lot of people have the misconception that a title and fancy company name make you more credible. On the contrary, if you style but can''t back it up (like a CEO recruiting artists or asking for elementary instruction) then you make yourself look like a total ass. This was hashed out in full a few months ago in the Help Wanted forum, when there was a daily deluge of such posturers.

To you it''s a Bently, to me it''s a blue car...
"Diddy"
P.Diddy
Basicly the reason why I don''t use a signature...

Usually, I ignore these kind of sigs. But, a CEO of a company asking how to do graphics for a simple school project, hmmm... That seems odd to me :p
Well, if you are really seriuos about doing this, you should know that graphics in DOS is more than just a trivial job, if you want fast and hicolored graphics!
For a IMHO really good compilation of information about DOS game programming goto:
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/2151/pcgpe.html
and download the PCGPE plus the patch.
This a compilation of docs, tutorials and some sample-code for sound, graphics and fileformats!

Btw. what is a ''CEO''?

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
CEO = Chief Executive Officer

As for DOS graphics: Mode13h isn''t that hard. You''re limited to 320x200, and 256 colors per frame (of a total of 262144 colors), but it''s very easy to work with, and should provide graphics with sufficient quality for your class. If you want something better than Mode13h, then you get into VESA and all kinds of annoying things. I would just bite the bullet and learn DirectDraw, instead of wasting your time with VESA. Dos is good for low-res stuff, but anything above 13h is more trouble than it''s worth.
Hey dont be fooled by the signiture, Centra studios dosent make games, we do more work with flash animations, cartoons and things of that sort. Were not a software company, a small small highschool to college job that helps pay the bills.

Programming is a new hobby of mine. That''s why i cant invest the time required to study pogamming direct x or something of that sort. I am just trying to make some lil rinky dink games.

I appreciate the help recieved sofar.

Larry Charles
Larry CharlesCentra Entertainment Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement