Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcabeleira

OpenGL
Results on Voxel Cone Tracing - Part 2

13 posts in this topic

Thanks for your feedback, guys. I'm sorry to hear that you guys with AMD's are having problems running the demo. Unfortunately I have no means to address this problem since I do not own an AMD graphics card to test it. The demo uses a lot of advanced GPU features so this may be due to the driver not supporting some OpenGL extensions or simply some shader syntax which isn't 100% correct (NVIDIA is more permissive in this aspect). For now assume that only NVidias 600 series are supported, in the meantime I'll try to figure out a way to test it on AMDs.

I get a device driver timeout on my GTX 480, driver 314.22. sad.png  I'll try it on our GTX 690 or GTX Titan equipped machines later.

On my GTX 460 it is just all black, or differently fucked up (looks like some z prepass messup?) if I disable directional lighting.

It looks good, I could run it at work on GTX 680, no luck at Radeon 6870. At home I can't get it run on AMDs either. The problem probably aren't supported features though, it is more likely that some GLSL shaders aren't valid for AMD gpus, but are valid for NVidia gpus.

This especially counts twice for compute shaders, as AMD finally supports them in stable driver (13.4 has been beta for quite a while -> now it is stable -> hooray), but the driver has like a TON of differences from NVidia driver (damn those vendors, both!) ... so most likely the compute shaders are causing the issues. I could give it a look or two on AMD, sadly I have too much work these weeks and I won't be regularly available till 15th June or so.

Edited by Vilem Otte

Yeah, these differences between vendors are a bit annoying even though everything is fairly well defined in the OpenGL specification.

For a simple guy like me the only option would be to either buy an AMD or borrow it from a friend just to adapt the source code to it. I'll see what I can do about it, I'd really like to all of you guys to be able to run it. I'll keep in touch.

This is very impressive, but I am also getting the same problem as _Slin_ where everything is black. If I turn off diffuse GI then the sky shows up, but all textures are still black.

I'm running on gtx485m, with nvidia driver 314.22, Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit SP1.

Hello, guys. Sorry to ressurrect this old topic, I'd just like to make a small update.

I've spent some time trying to make the demo run on AMD hardware but it turns out that the latest AMD driver (Catalist 3.14) is quite buggy. Some required OpenGL features like Shader Buffer Objects seem to be flawed (see my post on OpenGL.org) so for the time being there won't be any support for AMD. :(

I'd like to hear your opinion about these problems, if anyone as experience with these drivers please feel free to provide suggestions. I'd appreciate it a lot.

Hello, guys. Sorry to ressurrect this old topic, I'd just like to make a small update.

I've spent some time trying to make the demo run on AMD hardware but it turns out that the latest AMD driver (Catalist 3.14) is quite buggy. Some required OpenGL features like Shader Buffer Objects seem to be flawed (see my post on OpenGL.org) so for the time being there won't be any support for AMD. sad.png

I'd like to hear your opinion about these problems, if anyone as experience with these drivers please feel free to provide suggestions. I'd appreciate it a lot.

Yes I tried the demo again a week ago or so but it just wouldn't work on my HD6950 even with Catalyst 13.14. It's ridiculous how bad AMD is at catching up with new OpenGL features angry.png

The last couple rounds of AMD's driver (13.2 and 13.3) have been spectacularly f***ed up too, each in their own creative ways. I don't know what's going on over there but they're doing an incredibly bad job lately.