Header function not being recognized

Started by
6 comments, last by ApochPiQ 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello,

I have a Matrix4x4 template class in a header file. I've read that templates need to be only in headers (source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/495021/why-can-templates-only-be-implemented-in-the-header-file). Now, my problem is that when I change my header's code by adding a function and that I use this method somewhere (in main() in my case), then the compiler tells me my class Matrix4x4 doesn't contain the function. I thought that doing a rebuild would correct this error, but it doesn't work. Do you have any idea what I could do to fix this error?

Thank you,

Thecheeselover

Hide yo cheese! Hide yo wife!

Advertisement
Can you post a minimal snippet of your code that reproduces the error?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Exemple:

namespace UCC
{
template <class T>
class Matrix4x4
{

public:

T m11, m12, m13, m14;
    T m21, m22, m23, m24;
    T m31, m32, m33, m34;
    T m41, m42, m43, m44;

Matrix4x4()
    {
        m11 = 1;
        m12 = 0;
        m13 = 0;
        m14 = 0;

m21 = 0;
        m22 = 1;
        m23 = 0;
        m24 = 0;

m31 = 0;
        m32 = 0;
        m33 = 1;
        m34 = 0;

m41 = 0;
        m42 = 0;
        m43 = 0;
        m44 = 1;
    }

void SetIdentity()// not recognized
    {
        m11 = 1;
        m12 = 0;
        m13 = 0;
        m14 = 0;

m21 = 0;
        m22 = 1;
        m23 = 0;
        m24 = 0;

m31 = 0;
        m32 = 0;
        m33 = 1;
        m34 = 0;

m41 = 0;
        m42 = 0;
        m43 = 0;
        m44 = 1;
    }
    static Matrix4x4 GetIdentity_S() // not recognized, don't know if there's an error here, I was testing when it didn't work
    {
        return Matrix4x4<T>();
    }
}
}

My main.cpp:

#include "Math/Matrix4x4.h"

using namespace UCC;

int main()
{
    Matrix4x4<float> matrix;
    matrix.SetIdentity(); // error: 'class UCC::Matrix4x4<float>' has no member named 'SetIdentity'|

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Are you sure that "#include "Math/Matrix4x4.h"" is actually including that file? The reason I ask is because it contains a compile-time error. Perhaps you're editing one file but another is being included?

Ignore me....

Are you sure that "#include "Math/Matrix4x4.h"" is actually including that file? The reason I ask is because it contains a compile-time error. Perhaps you're editing one file but another is being included?

I checked if it was included by changing ''matrix.SetIdentity();'' to ''matrix.Transpose();'', which is another function in Matrix4x4.h, and it worked.

Ignore me....

???

You were right. I finally found the bug: the Matrix4x4 I was including wasn't the good one. The thing is I had the same Matrix4x4 class in another project and my current project still had dependencies to the old one. Thank you :)

Please do not mark threads "solved" in the General Programming forum.

Thanks!

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement