• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
darthman

Potential C++ starting project

This topic is 2040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, recently I've been learning to code in C++ and I had a little background in C# so it's coming quite easily but I've been having a few problems. I can't seem to find a good game engine that will allow a low resolution 2D TBS mixed with a free roam. I'm wondering if I should try and create my own game engine or if there are any good suggestions. My other question is that since this game may be quite complex, and since I may know about coding but not developing textures and levels, should I be looking to form a team?

Thank you to any who respond

Advertisement

Hey, recently I've been learning to code in C++ and I had a little background in C# so it's coming quite easily but I've been having a few problems. I can't seem to find a good game engine that will allow a low resolution 2D TBS mixed with a free roam. I'm wondering if I should try and create my own game engine or if there are any good suggestions. My other question is that since this game may be quite complex, and since I may know about coding but not developing textures and levels, should I be looking to form a team?

Whether to use an engine or roll your own code depends on many things:

-whether you're more interested in getting a game done quickly, or learning how a game is put together from the ground up

-the nature of the game/graphics/etc.  If your needs are basic, then writing your own "engine" is not as much of a big deal

-what platforms you want to target

-your time frame

As far as a team, I'd suggest you forget about a team for now.  Teams are hard to put together, to keep together, to control, to motivate, to deal with, etc, etc.  This is so even when you're already experienced and know people who are experienced.  So, to start off, I'd say do everything you can alone and adjust your expectations and goals accordingly.

For art, you might try to find existing art assets that you can get free or license, or even find a contractor that can make what you want.  Alternately keep the game graphics within the limits of what you can do.  The more you keep things under your control, the higher the chance that you can finish the game.  And, right now, finishing the game should be your #1 priority.  Every member you add to a team will increase the scope of the project and decrease the chance that it will ever be done.

Learning C++: Look at SFML or SDL, both are great 2D Libraries, SFML has great tutorials. and was easy to pick up.

If your just learning C++, forget about a team, just do it on your own, you'll learn so much more. You'll just over complicate things by working with other people, as people will code differently, have different levels of knowledge, if your working with more experienced people, you will not actually get much developing done, as you'll spend more time reading their code and going "ummm wtf!" tongue.png

Edited by Andy474

If you want to learn how things work at a low level, write code at a low level. If you just want to make a game with existing tools, use existing tools. I don't think C++ is a requirement for making games, but since it's apparently the FOTM I'll go with that. But there are perfectly good graphics/game engines for C#, Java, Python, or whatever language you prefer. Anyway, I recommend learning alone, but YMMV of course.

Joke: 404 Reputation not found =D

Request timed out happy.png

My other question is if games are in birds eye view, are they better in 3D or 2D?

Take a look at frob's response to the recent topic "2D vs 3D", as well as some of the other answers. smile.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!