Need advice

Started by
12 comments, last by szecs 10 years, 11 months ago
I'll be a freshman in college next year majoring in computer science. I have been programming for a long time but new to game/3D programming. Now I want to make games after college but not sure if this is the right path for me. I also like mechanical engineering and I'm considering majoring in either one and minoring in another as a backup. All my free time will be spent on making games.I don't know if this is too much though. Can anyone been in the same situation give me an advice?
Advertisement

I can only give you generic college advice: Don't pretend you know what your major(s) will be before you take some classes. I mean, have some favorite candidates, but try to branch out just to see. But don't Major in Anthropology.

I would talk to professors in each "candidate" department to see what the field is like and try to find some junior-seniors in the degree program to get a feel for what the classes themselves are like. Once you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do, go to the career services center (or whatever equivalent) and 1) Look at available internships (because you will want to have one) and 2) Try to get in contact with a recent graduate in your program for some RealTalk about post-graduation.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I'm not in the same situation, but I graduated as a mechanical engineer and did (do) game programming as a hobby. If you are not sure about a career and that you'd enjoy coding >40 hours per week then maybe mechanical engineering is a better choice, since it's easier to get various (easy or more demanding, creative or non creative etc) jobs in that field. And definitely easier than getting a game programming job.

Working as a mechanical engineer can also be a good base for some own little game programmer studio, since it's pretty good paying.

This path works pretty good for me, though I only started programming after starting college.

majoring in computer science.... I also like mechanical engineering and I'm considering majoring in either one and minoring in another.... I don't know if this is too much though.

Start your major, and after your freshman year, consider declaring the minor. Just try college out for that first year, get more confident in how it all works.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Also, it may useful to check out some online video lectures from big name universities to get a "feel" for what sitting in a given class might be. Not the same as attending the class, but another tool in exploring your major.

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Thanks everyone. I'll do more research on ME to see if its for me. But if I major in one and minor in another would there be too little free time for game dev? This is what I'm afraid of.

But if I major in one and minor in another would there be too little free time for game dev? This is what I'm afraid of.

You'll take the same number of units regardless. Talk to your advisor in college after you've been there a while.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I've decided to go for ME and then create a small studio with the money I make. Hope I could make some awesome games.

Thanks everyone. I'll do more research on ME to see if its for me. But if I major in one and minor in another would there be too little free time for game dev? This is what I'm afraid of.

Engineering majors barely get free time. I don't know about you, but I def. would not feel like coding after studying some vector dynamics or mechanics of materials.

Brain draining major + brain draining hobby = burn out

Engineering majors barely get free time. I don't know about you, but I def. would not feel like coding after studying some vector dynamics or mechanics of materials.

Brain draining major + brain draining hobby = burn out

Well of course it's going to be tough and I don't like to work as a programmer in a company anyways. Plus I sleep only like 5 hours everyday so I'll have some time for game dev. Worst case I'll change my major bc you know I love to make games. rolleyes.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement