Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectX Contests?

This topic is 5828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just reading over the contest rules for the latest NeHe contest, and I said to myself, why not have a DirectX only contest? Of course we will have to pick a theme and there probably won''t be prizes, but how about it?

Well, I was thinking that we wouldn''t have prizes, but I suppose if we all begged or scrounged around enough that we could find some sponsors. Then again, who needs prizes? The prize would be the admiration and respect of those other DirectX programmers.

Wow, its great to see some responses here!

So, KingsRevenge, you are the manager of the NeXe site? Its good to hear from you. A few thoughts about the contest:
- we should have a nice long time period for the contest. I would say at least 2-3 months. It generally seems that DirectX programs take a bit longer to write than OpenGL programs (or so it seems. I haven''t used OGL, but thats the impression that I get)
- the contest entries would be based on content, originality, and graphics (which would be the most important).
- the contest would have a general theme, which needs to be decided

infinitycool, what is MINT? (some sort of acronym?)

No Moe, KR has a column on Nexe. Bunnies is manager...KR will probably be in charge cause Nexe is neve active that I have seen. I think school is the reason. Well I am sure we can get more posters if we think of a topic for the contest...Will the contest be a Game or Demo. What do you think?

Great idea. I will help if i can. Oh, a recent post was saying how OpenGL doesn''t take as long to make. It doesn''t. I''ve programmed in it and it''s only good for 3D. I admit, it''s a good 3D language but it seems to me a little too basic and Direct3D seems to have more capabilities because you do it all yourself. Anyway, It''s a great idea and you should start it!

Moe:No i dont own NeXe but i will be helping run it I am Eric Wright, I will be writing tuts for my own column on nexe, once bunnies gets me my account info I''ll throw up my tuts as well as the guest tut by Spindle . I liked your comments about the contest my favorite one being the contest lasting 2-3 months, your right about good D3D apps taking longer. Once I''m sure that I''ll get this contest going I''ll probably start asking around for what people want to contest to be on.

And DLin i''ll try talking with various companies to see if they would donate some stuff .

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

AcidRain Productions

A contest sounds great, nothing beats a good competition, apart from beer, sex, a nice warm bath on a cold day, a hug from your son, a pay rise, 2 month holiday, getting what you want for christmas, a steady job, it''s your partners turn to wash the dog, a satisfactory bowel movement........

Come to think about it lots of things are better, but it''s stil a trific idea, count me in.

lol DeltaVee.

What will the topic be though...Should it be best demo, best effect, best game? Or will it be like Nehe theme contests? What''s the your ideas on the themes? Will the contest be evaluated by exe alone or the code used in it? (I know everone had there own style but I mean copy and paste from another projects)

I''d suggest start fairly basic - graphic demos of simple effects - and build upwards from there. Since there are no prizes to be won, this can be a great teaching tool. Have the contests fairly regularly and always make the sources available after each is over, so everyone can learn from them. Each contest''s winner could have their name on the front page (if GDNet staff permit) or on NeXe as the "DX-er of the month", and receive adulation from all other aspiring worthies.

I haven''t programmed graphics in about 2 years, and I haven''t bothered to really learn DXGraphics, but I''m in too. Might pick up a few neat tricks.

Spindle is right, I don''t have much time at all to work on NeXe, the time that I do have to code I try to spend working on my own projects. So I''m hoping that with KR on the team it''ll work better. Right now I''m more of a site manager (and a poor one at that) than a tutorial writer, the next tutorials I''m planning on doing right now are going to be for DirectX 9 when it comes out, or if I get the beta (of course, if I get the beta then the tutorials won''t actually go online until DirectX9 itself comes out.) I''ve got several months of backlogged mail to NeXe@gdnmail.net which I stopped checking several months ago. I plan on going through it either at the end of quarter break (next week), Thanksgiving break, or Christmas break. Depends on what I end up needing to do all those days. I''m still waiting for Dave to set up an FTP account for Eric, I don''t want to pester him about it in light of some recent events for him. I''m about to send Eric an e-mail explaining how to format his tutorials, though, so that once he does get the FTP account he can set right to uploading them. Anyway...

Back to what I was originally going to talk about, I''d be happy to post info about and run the contest out of NeXe along with Eric, I''ll e-mail him about it. I''ll also talk to him about what we can do for prizes. Eric''ll probably be doing basically all of the work, but he can use NeXe and whatever assistance I can provide.

Oh, just one more thing, on Spindle''s speculation that the reason I''m so tied for time is school, yup. That''s a lot of the reason, although if it wasn''t school it''d usually be something else, as I found out during the summer when I still couldn''t update NeXe as often as I''d''ve liked to. We''ll see, though. You haven''t seen the last of me! *Evil laughs echo off into the distance*

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah.
Great idee.
First off I coded in OpenGL too ,and it takes logner to write apps with OpenGL ,maybe it looks easier but it'' not.
OpenGL is more low level.
In D3D8 we have the great D3DX8 libery that can manage all of the stuff like mesh and texture loading.
In OpenGL you have to make all of it yourself ;(
Now but yeah a deadline should be like 2-3 months from the start oc contest
And I got a theme - War )