UDK VS Unity3D in making a classical ResidentEvil-like game?

Started by
2 comments, last by CaseyHardman 10 years, 11 months ago

First hello, first post here smile.png

OK, so for the past 2 months or so, I started working on a game project that me and a buddy of mine have been wanting to make since like, the past year or so. It's pretty much like the good old Resident Evil games, Alone in the dark 4, Parasite eve, etc. Fixed cam, pre-rendered scenes, and pretty much simiar gameplay mechanics to what I just mentioned.

I first thought that Unity would be better for this type of game, I worked a bit in it, I liked how well documented it was, and how easy to use its APIs, plus I got to use my fav lang which is C# - But ran into some trouble that made me think of trying something else (mainly issues with debugging and crashing sometimes) - I thought the Unity programming env wasn't that good

So I switched to UDK - I made a static camera demo quickly - Again, I thought it would be more suitable for what I'm trying to do - But I just coudln't find my self doing any actual gameplay programming - I was just modding and modifying existince properties, it's like, UDK is forcing the issue I didn't like that. - I have to read through thousands lines of source code just to find what I'm looking for, now that's like a pain in the butt! Also there was little to no tutorials on how to put a a game from scratch all together - in fact I missed the way how I did stuff with Unity. So I'm thinking of getting back! - Although both engines have their ups and downs, but I think the downs from a programmer perspective to UDK is more! - Like for example on-the-fly compilation, good IDE (monodev:free VS nfringe:expensive as hell) and good API documentaion.

We've been flip-flopping between engines like this for a while, I know that the only way to find if the engine's gonna suit us or not, is to dwell deep in it, but I'm just afraid that I waste time diving into something and by the end I find that it's not well-suited for what we're doing - We already wasted time, we can't afford to waste more

That's why I'm asking, what's better for what we're doing? UDK or Unity? - I know it depends on the brains, and that they're both tools and both will work just fine, but I wouldn't mind using the one that will let us reach what we want in a better, faster and more effecient way - I'm willing to work on either.

And case somebody votes for Unity, how far can I go with my game using the free version of Unity?

Any help would be really appreciated! - Thanks all.

Advertisement

Unity free is not suitable for anything other than top-down or sidescroller games.

It does not have LODs and has only frustum culling.

Because of this - performance can be killed really quickly.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/OcclusionCulling.html

UDK does not suffer from such limitations.

I don't have a problem getting Unity Pro if that covers the LOD thing you mentioned - but I just need to make sure that Unity can do it all - like for example how to setup the pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D character models and have them drop shadows. Thanks for the answer but I was hoping for something with a bit more details.

I've experienced the same problems with UDK as you: it's a huge pain in the ass to try and code things with it. It's just...ugh...

A while ago, I made this reply to a post about the differences between Unity and UDK. My opinion still stands, though I now dislike UDK a little more...

It just seems poorly designed, especially in comparison to Unity. It might have a lot of fancy features and it may be powerful, but I don't really care if it takes me 15 hours to do something with it that I could've done cleanly with Unity in 15 minutes. Unity's development process is intuitive and it gets out of your way; it lets you program your own way. I'm not sure if I ever even figured out how to code something and make the code run in-game with UDK, but with Unity it's as simple as making a script, putting down some code in one of the event functions, dropping the script onto a GameObject, and playing.

Also, Unity is constantly and visibly improving, whereas UDK seems to be slower about this.

I use Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express to edit my code (a later version is probably out by now). It doesn't allow you to set up breakpoints that will activate while you play in Unity, whereas I think MonoDevelop does (or did at one point), but it's a very robust tool and I think it's great.

So, to sum it up, I can personally recommend you stick with Unity. If you need to optimize your performance sometime along the road, then as you said, you can purchase Unity Pro. If Unity can't do something you want it to do, then you could probably figure out a way to do it yourself, or find someone else's method of doing it.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement