Names for soldier ranks?

Started by
4 comments, last by suliman 10 years, 11 months ago
Hi
Im looking for names for soldier ranks in a semi post-apoc setting. Its urban fighting between criminal gangs, militias, guerilla factions. My fist batch is this:
Recruit
Grunt
Footman
Trooper
Sergeant
Lieutenant
Captain
Might have 2 more levels. But any other ideas? Could be "titles" from hells angels, mafia, streetgangs of rio de janeiro, survivalist right-wing militia, mountain guerilla etc. What nice ranks could i use?

I like the semi-military style but feel free to go nuts! Should suit people who actually fight, not leader/commander titles like "general" or "chairman". Could also be mixed up like
street sergeant
some other sergeant rank
E
Advertisement

The question is how large are the units you are considering dealing with, and how much structure is there in them?

Ultra simple setup in a very primitive rebuilt society would likely only use three to four ranks at best, if not just "Leader and Followers", simply because the higher ranking titles are born out of a need for organization.

Something as simple as:

Gunman/Rifleman/Soldier/Private/Warrior/Guard/etc

Sergent/Sarg

Captain

Commander

Throw in special titles such as "Runner" for say a sergent who was trusted with carrying orders between units for added flavour.

Personally I think it is just weird when writers try to suggest too complex of a force with too many ranks being used, and then have no actual need for that kind of structure.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

There's some good ones here (it looks almost like an empty page - you have to click the little 'show' button on the blue bar).

For the marines, it goes:

1. Private
  2. Private First Class
  3. Lance Corporal
  4. Corporal
  5. Sergeant
  6. Staff Sergeant
  7. Gunnery Sergeant
  8. Master Sergeant
  9. First Sergeant
  10. Master Gunnery Sergeant
  11. Sergeant Major
...and continues into officer ranks.
The naming varies somewhat between Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines (and ofcourse, varies more when comparing other nations' military).

I asked for more ranks, not less (and i need it specifically FOR gameplay reasons (rpg progression), this is why i asked for more ranks).

Thanks servant, but if i want to move towards criminal gang "ranks" (levels of seniority)? I know some paramilitary groups use versions close to army/navy/marine titles but maybe there is more "middle-ground" titles to use (between offical/traditional army titles and simply "boss and henchmen").

If anyone wanna add to the ideas feel free!

One path you may want to put thought into is names of third-party factions, as it might give you a more "criminal" vibe that you seem to be looking for. Maybe look into terms used in something like drug traffickers or mafia members.

Possible Street Level Entities:

>Mercenaries/Mercs

>Hitmen/Sharpshooters

>Guards/Security
>Dealers/Slingers

>Falcons

>Associates

>Capos

Possible Leader Level Entities:

>Suppliers

>Cheifs

>Executives/Execs