What are the best videos on game design?

Started by
2 comments, last by Acharis 10 years, 11 months ago

There are a couple videos I saw a little while ago on game design that I really liked. One was talking about game design in general, and another was talking about why some games succeed where others fail. I'm having trouble finding them and wanted to show them to a friend.

But while searching, it occurred to me there are probably a lot of really good game design related videos online. What can you recommend?

">
- This video is Extra Credits: so you want to be a game designer. Can you recommend other good ones?

Thanks.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

Advertisement

- This video is Extra Credits: so you want to be a game designer. Can you recommend other good ones?

That's the one I would have recommended. I don't know of any others nearly as good as that.

The best URL is on Penny-Arcade.com (http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/so-you-want-to-be-a-game-designer), its rightful home - don't know why it needs to be on YouTube too.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think the whole Extra credits series I one of the best "tools" that we have - talking as an aspiring game designer :P They really examine a lot of aspects, some times not so directly connected to game design but something that ends up being important to know, and well, that's one of the main things I always hear about "being a game designer" is that you have to know as much as you can of everything xD

Also, there are a lot of interesting articles of Gamasutra your friend could read ;)

I find Extra Credits simplistic, it's useful mostly to new designers. Videos made by actual game designers are far more useful in my humble opinion.

Chris Crawford
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105363132599081141035/posts/2c8nSivyukS

Sid Meyer

John Cleese from Monty Paython (not a game designer, but his talk about creativity is more than related)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement