Why is EA throwing a tantrum at Nintendo?

Started by
25 comments, last by Gavin Williams 10 years, 11 months ago

A lot of politics and I'm sure several NDAs will need to be broken to clear this up.

However, I would say the problem is really down to a combination of slow sales and a serious lack of 1st Party support which makes it difficult for anyone to develop AAA games for Nintendo right now.

Advertisement

EA bashes Nintendo every chance they get. They have deliberately released games in ways to get people to think negatively about Wii U. Mass Effect 3 is a good example of this. Then next, a senior engineer publicly bashes the console which results in deleted tweets.

I missed these stories, and I'm too lazy to google. Can you post some links to these incidents?

Only a single incident, and it was non-spectacular.

When a reporter asked, EA confirmed: "We have no games in development for the Wii U currently". That's it for the official statement.

That is the entirety of the official "tantrum" as the OP calls it.

Based on the fact that Nintendo has only sold 3 million of the consoles, I'm guessing it is a pretty smart business decision. But that is just my opinion.

After hearing the one-line statement that there were no Wii-U games in development by EA, lots of people took to their favorite social media sites, and a series of corporate bashing and counter-bashing ensued. Just the normal ultra-tight feedback loop of Internet vitriol. Nothing official, just the normal Internet background noise.

Among the people slinging mud back and forth was one random EA employee who sent out some tweets to his friends: "The Wii U is crap. Less powerful than an Xbox 360. Poor online/store. Weird tablet" ... "Nintendo are walking dead at this point."

Again it was nothing official, just a random employee stating their opinion to his friends on a public forum. Some people stupidly thought the random employee's opinion was actually some sort of quazi-official statement on behalf of the company. Again the ultra-tight feedback loop of vitriol took over, and suddenly his personal opinion tweets were being listed on news sites as statements from EA.

The only "tantrums" I have seen came from the people who bought a Wii-U and expected more games. The official PR statements from all sides have been quiet, which is why websites are turning to tweets and citing them as newsworthy.

It is just a non-event and a personal twitter comment being blown up to extremes. Again.
Than explain why crysis 3 was complete for Wii U and not released? What about frostbite not compatible for Wii u but for 360 and ps3 and even mobile? Why FIFA 13 a copy paste of FIFA 12 on Wii? I think EA has some beef with Nintendo

EA is an US company, insofar their behaviour is not very unusual. Comparative and derogative advertizing against a non-US company such as Nintendo is pretty "normal". Of course it only works one way.

You know that Sony is a Japanese company right?

Its the Wii U's CPU that's under-powered -- It's three CPU cores are probably around on par with two of the Xbox's three CPU cores in scalar code, but the SIMD is only 64 bits wide (2 floats, vs 4 on other architectures) so suffers through code that's pretty typical in games. Furthermore, the GPU is leaps ahead of the 360 or PS3 in terms of graphics throughput, but its not a modern architecture, so it only has fairly rudimentary support for compute kernels, if any (which would be important offsetting the sub-par SIMD situation).

The trouble this presents for Nintendo is that its fairly straight-forward for a game to tune its graphical fidelity up or down to suit the available hardware, but its much more difficult to make the same game work across very different processing capacities. Within reason you can make things work, or simplify/remove things that go easily unnoticed, but for a current gen console to have (lets be generous) even processing power equipment to last-gen's CPUs, well, there's no way to bring the same experience to Wii U and the PS4 or XBox One -- you either need to pander to the lowest denominator, or you need to cut things out of the Wii U port to the point that its hardly the same game.

The Wii U also has staggeringly less RAM than the other contenders will, which is also a significant stumbling block. Particularly if you look at what we see going on in game design: graphics looks pretty good, we've got the resolution and the shading power we need, but its texture size and animation that are really being pushed. Those things eat RAM alive (a MIP-Mapped texture that's twice as wide and as tall as the alternative consumes 4x the memory). And of course, the would-be-game's data structures, though small by comparison to textures and other art assets, would be roughly the same size across platforms. Accounting for that, you've probably got to go down 2 mip levels on the Wii U vs PS4 or Xbox One, just to fit within memory (or simply look worse, or have some complex texture streaming system that might impact level design, or... any number of things that just don't look as good).

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Than explain why crysis 3 was complete for Wii U and not released?

Money.

I have seen many games that were "complete" but never taken to market. The last set of development hoops -- getting first party certification -- can cost many hundred thousand dollars. Marketing for a major title costs millions more. The cost to put all the discs in shrink-wrapped packages costs money. Distributing those shrink-wrapped packages to stores costs money.

With only 3M consoles shipped, they probably figured it was better to mothball the project rather than throw more money at it.

Many game developers with decades of real-world experience can count their cancelled projects into the tens and twenties.

What about frostbite not compatible for Wii u but for 360 and ps3 and even mobile?

Again, money.

To port an engine from a functioning X360/PS3 code base and push it down to Wii-U's processing standards is a considerable effort. I don't know their team specifics, but I can easily imagine it costing in the $3M range. Moving to mobile is a complete rewrite, so it is a different story.

Why FIFA 13 a copy paste of FIFA 12 on Wii?

Again, money.

Look at sales numebers, FIFA Wii doesn't look like it has many customers. Compare the 0.7M Wii customers to the combined 10.4M on PS3 and X360 (which can share assets).

Would you invest much of your money in something that will only see 0.7M sales, or would you spend it on the 10.4M sales?

I think EA has some beef with Nintendo

Me too.

I think they are upset that Nintendo isn't helping their revenue stream very much. I also think they are upset that Wii-U didn't sell very well because that caused several projects to be mothballed.

Like I said, the "tantrum" is really just in the eyes of the OP and a few others who are not taking a broad view.

EA simply said that they have no games in the pipeline for Wii-U. As a business decision I find this very logicial. Why target a system that even if you sold a copy to every single console owner you could only get 3M copies (and realistically will see less than 1M sales), when you can hit 10M or more on other consoles for the same effort?

Some people didn't like it, started slinging mud and vitriol, some random game programmer made a comment, that comment got picked up and the mud-slingers treated it as official, etc.

It is a big deal out of nothing.

didn't know you worked for EA now. Congrats.

I do not :p

The company I worked for did contracting for EA though. NOW I WORK ON [redacted].

Again, money.

Look at sales numebers, FIFA Wii doesn't look like it has many customers. Compare the 0.7M Wii customers to the combined 10.4M on PS3 and X360 (which can share assets).

Would you invest much of your money in something that will only see 0.7M sales, or would you spend it on the 10.4M sales

Doesn't mean u can falsely sell the same product again under a new name. If it wasn't profitable why fool the consumers, dont make it. Period

Please. Nintendo Wii sales have been absolute trash for years and years if you weren't a Nintendo studio doing Nintendo IP. The non-Nintendo games for Wii were little more than charity cases. If anything, I'm surprised it took this long for EA to turn their back.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Again, money.

Would you invest much of your money in something that will only see 0.7M sales, or would you spend it on the 10.4M sales

Doesn't mean u can falsely sell the same product again under a new name. If it wasn't profitable why fool the consumers, dont make it. Period

They probably *started* making it on the presumption that initial sales would be higher (e.g. Wii-like), or at least that the adoption trend was steady or growing. What they saw when they were ready to go to manufacturing were lower numbers than they wanted, and declining sales trend. They decided that it was better to just eat their development costs alone, rather than eat their development costs plus the additional costs needed to bring it to market, less sup-par sales revenue. Its just business. The same thing happened with Half Life for the Dreamcast (I've got a more-ore-less complete bootleg that I've played on my DC), and countless others.

And at any rate, for all their problems, its certainly not EA's fault that Nintendo's platform isn't presenting them with viable market opportunity for a particular game or set of games. If the opportunity made business sense, EA would be there in a heartbeat, just like any for-profit entity.

But it doesn't make any sense for them to throw good money after bad.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement