what books or tutorials are available

Started by
2 comments, last by Buster2000 10 years, 11 months ago

What Framework , API is best for creating an online 2D desktop game ( multiplayer ) ?

I started studying XNA but I am discouraged because the book tells me that XNA studio has to be installed

on any computer PC using the built app . I can't really expect that from the users .

I have some programming experience ( mostly web and database ) but i am new to games and online games .

Trying to find tutorials , books etc. best to learn from to build what I want .

Advertisement

Use a game engine with 2D support and built-in networking. Unity probably comes the closest.

There are also versions of cocos2d that might work out. Especially if you want "in a browser" although there are also C++ versions of the library.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Yeah thanks, I was looking at Unity ... So how does a framework like Unity compare performance-wise to

a lower level language like C++ with SDL ? Is there is significant speed/lag difference that users would notice ?

Also would unity be suitable for building a game lobby where users can pick a game to sit on ?

There would be no noticable difference in performance unless you are making the next GTA or Drakes Uncharted.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement