Microsoft and the Xbox One. Thoughts?

Started by
267 comments, last by Hodgman 10 years, 10 months ago

They named it 'Xbox One'? What?

Yeah we joked about that a lot in the studio today. Don't confuse the XBox One with the XBox 1.

720 was such a better number than One. They can still change it back.

Advertisement

Of all the rumored names, I thought 'Infinity' was the strongest, frankly, and caries the same connotation as "One", more or less in this (non-mathematical) context.

The name is lackluster, the industrial design is lackluster, hardware is good, but the platform will succeed on the back of its software stack and services.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

They named it 'Xbox One'? What?

I assmue they chose this name, so people would call it "The one", probably wanting to capitalize off people that like saying "The 360"

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Xbox One... Does it uses Android? :P

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I'm not sure how I feel. They didn't say anything that upset me, but they didn't really say anything great either. Force feedback triggers will be cool. I like that kinect is now integrated so people can design games with the expectation everyone will have one. It will be cool to see it as a supporting peripheral rather than needing to design your game exclusively around it.

I am really curious if they're going to at some point try to make a play to cut out cable companies with their interface and start supplying something over the internet. That would be cool to have in a couple years. Would probably come from some other service through xbox, but having the easy interface they showed off would be cool. If the NFL partnership works internationally that will pay off huge; it's such a pain in the ass to watch NFL games anywhere outside the US. People inside the US probably don't give half a poop, but it's a big selling point elsewhere. Wonder if they'll do something similar for Fifa.

Definitely have to say though it was such a non-announcement. It was like an announcement for their E3 show rather than an announcement for the console.

Had they not have said they were publishing 15 exclusives in year 1 I would have definitely felt more uneasy because they showed no great games.

I do wish more companies pulled the, "AND IT'S OUT TODAY!" press conferences, though I'm sure that would piss off a lot of game publishers who would lose a lot of marketing buildup.

No used games unless you pay a fee = major failure

One word: fail.

I spent 28 minutes of presentation listening to idiots prattle about live TV and Skype. Do not care. Don't have or want cable TV.

Well, keep in mind that everything they showed with cable TV will likely work just the same with Video on Demand, Netflix, Hulu, HBO-Go, or whatever other non-cable subscription services you might have. In fact, a better way to look at it is that they're extending all the goodness they've already started with those services to your cable TV subscription, not the other way around.

And maybe that would have been an interesting argument if Sony didn't already have similar services lined up. I use Netflix all the time on my PS or Xbox. That doesn't mean I'm in the market for a brand new Netflix box.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

The thing that worries me as someone who is making a game is that Microsoft made no effort to reassure me that their platform is one that I want to be on. Sure, looks like a fine general consumer entertainment device, but it doesn't look particularly inviting to me as a game maker. Sony, on the other hand, seemed to have invested a lot of time and energy into sending a message during their event to tell game players and specifically game makers that they want to make their platform the best platform for games.

Especially since I'm part of a small team, it looked like Sony was more willing (and given their history, I think it's been proven) that they want more interesting and risky games from smaller teams. If they're willing to make the barriers to entry on their platform way lower and allow smaller teams to put their games on their system, that puts them way ahead of the Xbox since Microsoft hasn't even said anything about development on their system. If on the other hand, Microsoft decides to open their system up way more than Sony on the PS4 or even just more open than the Xbox 360 currently is, that may be enough for me to switch my current opinion on Xbox One from a "Pass" to a "Sign me up".

I'm still not that convinced as a consumer, since I really don't care about live television or "interactive television".

The thing that worries me as someone who is making a game is that Microsoft made no effort to reassure me that their platform is one that I want to be on. Sure, looks like a fine general consumer entertainment device, but it doesn't look particularly inviting to me as a game maker.

They don't need to. The big boys will play ball regardless, particularly with the architecture being so close to the PS4. And if you're not one of the big boys, it doesn't appear that you're invited to the party at all. Don't hold your breath for an XNA followup.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

The thing that worries me as someone who is making a game is that Microsoft made no effort to reassure me that their platform is one that I want to be on. Sure, looks like a fine general consumer entertainment device, but it doesn't look particularly inviting to me as a game maker. Sony, on the other hand, seemed to have invested a lot of time and energy into sending a message during their event to tell game players and specifically game makers that they want to make their platform the best platform for games.

That's because Sony has historically been a worse manufacturer to develop for. Microsoft, if nothing else, is historically pretty good to develop for. They didn't need to send that message because it's expected of them.

Especially since I'm part of a small team, it looked like Sony was more willing (and given their history, I think it's been proven) that they want more interesting and risky games from smaller teams.

Though I don't disagree, I am in a 'I'll believe it when I see it' mood about it. Microsoft created the most open platform for game development on home consoles, and it wasn't worth doing anything for. Sometimes being more open isn't better.

You should be aware that XBLA releases a crap load of games from smaller developers too. I'd say it's about even with PSN from a quantity standpoint. PSN has had some good ones in the past couple years though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement