Sign in to follow this  
snowmanZOMG

Microsoft and the Xbox One. Thoughts?

Promit    13246

I live close to a major metropolitan area, and: "Comcast is down again, let's go play Xbox" is something that happens to me fairly often. (Once or twice a month?) Is it a make or break feature? No. But I do legitimately expect to get games without internet, and Steam has occasionally failed badly in that regard as well. I was annoyed about the connection thing because of the big brother aspect of it all. Why not a one-time activation for a game? Yes, it would allow you to slightly break the system in the extreme case but that's an edge case of "never connect the console again".

That plus we trade games in my circle of friends all the time. The "ten designated sharees" thing was an interesting idea but still had that creepy big brother aspect to it -- not to mention it's not flexible enough. There's a rumor that Steam will allow you to lend games now, and I am curious to see how that goes.

Edited by Promit

Oberon_Command    6081

Interestingly, members of the US military were more than a little pissed off at always online idea. This is on the front page of the Navy Times right now: http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130620/OFFDUTY02/306140030/Microsoft-does-about-face-new-XBox-restrictions.

This is mostly blown out of proportion as well. Pretty much all modern military basis have internet access available. Yes, even bases in Afganistan. Sure, they aren't going to be streaming videos too often or downloading 20GB games, but a daily checking would not have been a major barrier to use for deployed troops. I still maintain that the best way to handle it would have been to be able to bypass the 24 hour offline check when the disc was in the drive.

Military bases, sure, but what about naval vessels like nuclear submarines?

Hodgman    51234

It's 2013 now, when was the last time you had to put a disc or any other storage medium into your PC?

I bought a physical copy of a game I wanted because it was cheaper than the Steam version, and it has good old fashioned "is the disc present" DRM on it :P

If Microsoft were smart they would have left physical disc licensing as it is
and announced all the good news related to strong DRM-style licensing for download only games

"We will allow you to share downloaded games with up to 10 friends" would have been an PR coup!
Exactly. That's why I don't get the total backflip. They could've back-flipped on discs, but kept the cloud DRM for digital downloads...

tstrimp    1798

This is mostly blown out of proportion as well. Pretty much all modern military basis have internet access available. Yes, even bases in Afganistan. Sure, they aren't going to be streaming videos too often or downloading 20GB games, but a daily checking would not have been a major barrier to use for deployed troops. I still maintain that the best way to handle it would have been to be able to bypass the 24 hour offline check when the disc was in the drive.

C'mon now. Should any gaming company really factor in submarine crew when designing their systems? We're talking around 71 US submarines, each with a crew of 120 to 160. That's just over 11 thousand people at the top end, only a fraction of who are going to be "gamers".

Prinz Eugn    4418

C'mon now. Should any gaming company really factor in submarine crew when designing their systems? We're talking around 71 US submarines, each with a crew of 120 to 160. That's just over 11 thousand people at the top end, only a fraction of who are going to be "gamers".

Or really anybody on a ship, or many bases where personal internet access is either absurdly bad/expensive, which is many overseas locations. The military is heavily skewed towards young adult males, who are often far away from home and vigorously discouraged from drinking/partying/etc, with limited access to the opposite sex... so gaming actually figures pretty heavily. There's really just not much else to do in the free time they have. Deployed troops can get internet, but at forward-ish locations it's often in the form of a group of computers they can get for a certain period of time, not an ethernet port next to their bunk. Presumably official military publications would have some idea of you know, how stuff works in the military.

Seriously, just because you/we have reliable broadband doesn't mean everybody does... It sounds like you guys would have to have  "First World Problems" explained to you since you wouldn't understand the irony. 

slicer4ever    6760

i'll pop this here: [url="http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-game-sharing-timed-demo/"]http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-game-sharing-timed-demo/[/url]  not sure how reliable the source is, friend linked it on facebook.

skytiger    294

I have been told (unreliably) that Kinect sensors will NOT be available as spare parts ...

In other words when the Kinect breaks you have to buy a new X1

Promit    13246

I also don't understand the fixation with submarines. I thought the problem with always on connection was primarily that phone-home type behavior is goddamn creepy. Plus just to repeat, I live in a metropolitan area with a 30mbit/s connection, but I still play consoles without a connection reasonably often because Comcast sucks at everything.

I also move our consoles sometimes to houses where getting an internet connection is tricky (eg grandparents live there and "the internet" is one computer directly into a cable modem). One time I played without power. But those are probably unreasonable cases.

Edited by Promit

tstrimp    1798

i'll pop this here: http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-game-sharing-timed-demo/  not sure how reliable the source is, friend linked it on facebook.

I'm not sure how reliable it is either. Was a pastebin with no  way to verify the author. This doesn't sound like what was described at all, but if it was true it definitely wouldn't be worth the cost of the 24 hour checkin. I also don't think it makes sense because the Xbox has demos now for pretty much every downloadable game available.

skytiger    294

Exactly. That's why I don't get the total backflip. They could've back-flipped on discs, but kept the cloud DRM for digital downloads...

Revenge

CoffeeCoder    521

OK, I didn't know about the ability to trade-in and resell digital copies of games. That would have been an AMAZING feature, undoubtedly, as no other digital retailer does that as far as I know. And as someone said, GameStop could easily have been a part of that. 

But couldn't they still do that, even without a 24-hour check in? That's my only remaining question. 

Interestingly, according to some online polls I've seen on other sites (like Memebase and Kotaku), the majority of people still prefer the PS4 to XBOne, just because they feel like Microsoft betrayed them. I am one of those people, but now that Microsoft's proved that they can listen, I'll probably get an Xbox One later down the road, after the first price drop. I need me some Halo! :D

way2lazy2care    790

I also don't understand the fixation with submarines.

The submarine thing came about because a bunch of people were talking about how soldiers were going to get boned by the checkin stuff because they generally don't have consistent internet connections when they are deployed.

deltaKshatriya    2210

The submarine thing came about because a bunch of people were talking about how soldiers were going to get boned by the checkin stuff because they generally don't have consistent internet connections when they are deployed.

I'm not sure how many people would be playing video games on a nuclear submarine...not a lot of room on those things. Seriously, I'm not sure if you're allowed to game when sailing on a sub/ship in the navy, I could be wrong about that...

If they are allowed gaming, there is a simple fix. I can imagine the captain ordering the sub to periscope depth, raising the antenna mast with a Hughes Net satellite dish attached to it. Imagine that thing sticking out in Chinese controlled waters just so that the captain can play Battlefield 4 against his Chinese friend. Meanwhile, a Chinese destroyer passes by and completely misses the American sub cause the Chinese friend is the captain of that destroyer.......wait a minute, this could be a serious issue :D

Jokes aside, even metropolitan US has issues with broadband connectivity. I've had network blackouts last a day, especially after a bad snowstorm, or something like hurricane Sandy. That sort of stuff can be an issue, so having the 24 hour check in could be a problem to playing the console. The used game restrictions, that could have been an issue as well, but I'm not entirely sure how big an issue it would've become later on. I suppose people just don't like being restricted.....

Bacterius    13165

I'm not sure how many people would be playing video games on a nuclear submarine...not a lot of room on those things. Seriously, I'm not sure if you're allowed to game when sailing on a sub/ship in the navy, I could be wrong about that...

I would be surprised if they weren't. These are long-term assignments - usually several months, so crew members actually need some form of entertainment - and it certainly seems as if video games would be a tremendously efficient use of space (as opposed to, say, a pool, or a basketball court). Now the internet connection is something different completely, since I imagine this stuff is very heavily regulated; you probably don't want a virus messing with the submarine's systems.

Oberon_Command    6081

Yes, they are allowed. Back when Steam first came out there was a similar kerfuffle from US submariners over how they had bought themselves HL2 not knowing that it needed an internet connection to play. Furthermore "Not a lot of room" is exactly why gaming seems (to me) like it would be a great past-time on a submarine.

If they are allowed gaming, there is a simple fix. I can imagine the captain ordering the sub to periscope depth, raising the antenna mast with a Hughes Net satellite dish attached to it.

This would reveal the submarine's position to... well, basically anyone who is watching. Not very stealthy, and if the sub is engaged in clandestine operations, potentially mission-blowing.
Edited by Oberon_Command

slicer4ever    6760

If they are allowed gaming, there is a simple fix. I can imagine the captain ordering the sub to periscope depth, raising the antenna mast with a Hughes Net satellite dish attached to it.

This would reveal the submarine's position to... well, basically anyone who is watching. Not very stealthy, and if the sub is engaged in clandestine operations, potentially mission-blowing.

i...i don't think he was being even remotely serious...

CoffeeCoder    521

I don't think he was, either. :P

deltaKshatriya    2210

I don't think he was, either. tongue.png

You got me, I wasn't being serious :D