What console are you buying in 2013?

Started by
94 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 10 years, 6 months ago

Considering the prices (especially in Croatia), I'll most probably stick with my old trusted PC - it's "game console", "multimedia center" and "work device" for me, and with current configuration it can still hold for next 3-5 years. Not to mention that my family has 3 PCs and 3 laptops on top of SNES, GBA and PS2 so there is no need to aim for the new gen console.

On the other hand, if I would choose a new gen console, I would most probably go with Wii U. Only what's pushing me towards PS4 is possibility of new Kingdom Hearts (which is the only game I truly wait) game and maybe Final Fantasy; other exclusives (like Tekken for PS or Halo for XBox) aren't appealing for me and I don't have need of the "multimedia center" part of the consoles - I already have other devices to take care of that part. Not to mention that I have no idea will US and UK services like Netflix, HBO and others work at all in Croatia.

Nintendo has high amount of exclusives that I'd really like to buy and play, and most of them are franchises I already love due to their past games.

Advertisement
I'll probably buy a 7" Android tablet, but more for development than playing games. This year or next, I'm looking to buy some kind of 10-11" x86 Windows tablet (probably waiting to see what second generation based on Haswell are like), though more to use as an ultra-portable laptop/hybrid. For playing games, for now I stick with my 2012 17" laptop.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

I'm sure that each system will eventually have a game I really want, buy when that will be seems so far away. With lengthy development cycles, a game built from the ground up on the new gen systems likely won't hit the market for a few more years.

That said, when those games do come out, and with a price drop (I'm broke) I hope to eventually have the Wii U, and either the PS4 or XBOne, but leaning more toward XBOne right now since I am not too happy with my PS3 these days.

I bought a Nexus 7 tablet to replace my broken Versus a while back, and to be honest none of the new consoles seem to be worth the hassle.

The XBox One seems to be dead-on-arrival with its persistant online bullshit, the Wii-U is lacking any killer apps, and the PS4...well, I dunno. Not enough information to go on...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

I don't think I have ever been so uninterested in a console gen as I am in the upcoming one . even when I was younger and couldn't afford a console at launch and probably not for several years after ( not to mention i don't like being one of the lab rats) I had some semblance of excitement but not so this generation and it makes me worry am I just truly that much of a killjoy/ pessimist or is it possible this next gen just isn't worth my money ? Cutting out all the multimedia stuff these next consoles will do that both my laptop and iPad do for me already on a day-to-day basis and just looking at them as purely game playing devices I am not really at all that excited . should be interesting seeing what kind of projects are developed for them but man I have never been so uninterested in the net gen as I am now.

Upgrading my PC again.

I'll get either the PS4 or Xbox One this year if there is stock easily available (I'm definitely not going to pre-order or wait in line to get one). Then I'll get the other when a must have exclusive comes out that I actually have time to play.

I'm one of the few folks who will not pay more than $100 USD for a game counsel, and $15 for a game.

In 2013, I will continue to use my crappy computer. I will also pick up a few old systems from yard sales ( NES, Gensis, Atari ) if they are the right price.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm a veteran Xbox 360 user, and yet I can already say that there's no way I'm getting an Xbox One. I'm completely shocked at how greedy this industry has become. A friend sent me this http://imgur.com/s4rFvsn , but he also summed it up in his own words, after I'd asked him if the Xbox One has anything good to be said for it.

His words: " Won't play 360 titles, won't play pre-owned games unless you pay a premium (full retail price), games you buy become registered to your console and are blocked on all other consoles, TV channels won't work in the UK for at least the 1st 6 months and requires an extra ariel. Won't work unless connected to the internet, won't work without kinect, won't have anymore than 15 launch titles, will cost a fortune.

Fukno."

And personally, I have a pretty big issue with a camera and microphone in every home, that is mandatory to run the console. They didn't have to design it like that, but they did - I don't trust those greedy bastards.

And personally, I have a pretty big issue with a camera and microphone in every home, that is mandatory to run the console.

To many people, this may seem like a silly tinfoil hat thing to be worried about -- I mean, we're not going to wake up tomorrow and realize we've all got a Nineteen-eighty-four telescreen watching over us, demanding we stick to the party line...

However, it is a valid concern if you don't like the idea of spooks being able to listen in to your house. If you've been watching the GIFiles, or even just listening to the CIA's CTO conference presentations, then you'd know that your networked cameras and microphones are already used to spy on you (if you're a person of interest) and SOPA style mass data recording already does occur... Even when your iPhone is switched off, it's still a "sensor platform" as far as these guys are concerned. Hacking your devices is easy when said spooks have got backdoors into the ISPs that deliver your software updates and access to your email... If XBOne adoption did become widespread, then it won't be too long before recordings from one are used to convict a careless state enemy (without this evidence being revealed to the public for security reasons, of course).

Not that this will really influence me -- I've already got a house full of cameras and microphones that aren't wrapped up in tinfoil... but we should be aware of the world we live in, lest things go downhill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement