What console are you buying in 2013?

Started by
94 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 10 years, 5 months ago

this may seem like a silly tinfoil hat thing

Never condone ignorance. To be honest, my personal opinions on this type of thing go beyond gaming, but most people who write off conspiracys, or theories as silly/crazy do so without thorough research; there is too much speculation and it's easier to be ignorant, as always. Of course, this could open a whole other can of worms...
Advertisement

The "X-One" seems to be taking the EA approach to things - if your not connected 100% of the time, you "must" be a software pirate.

EA is also notorious for killing old game servers ( making the game unplayable ) when ever a new squeal comes out, which makes me thing that Micro$oft may be doing the same thing here.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Planning on getting the ouya and an S4 next month. Possibly a vita, but haven's really been sold on anything else yet.

My OUYA just arrived

it is even more disappointing than expected

There is nothing entertaining about extra-low-quality hardware and software

and *everything* about OUYA is low quality and thoughtless

Just the usual moronic "nerdware" that "clever" software people always create ...

Kickstarter projects are always disappointing ... the motivation is all wrong - they have the money too soon!

Once the money is in the bank they just deliver any old garbage to their backers ...

It was priced like... 100 bucks? There are controllers alone that cost more than that. What did you expect?

I wonder if there are Tegra drivers for common Linux distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, etc) and how the 1.6Ghz quad core A9 compares to an Atom N450...

Hm, found this https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra But it seems its only for partners.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

OUYA hardware is all about the controller ...

(the rest is just off-the-shelf parts and a plastic box)

You can buy better controllers for PS2 for £3 almost anywhere

OUYA software is all about game discovery

they only had to get 2 things right ... everything else is easy

I see no evidence of intelligence in this product ... it is doomed

I'll be picking up an Ouya soon - well, I should say I'll be receiving my early backer model from the Kickstarter campaign soon. I can't wait!

As for major consoles, the Wii U and PS4 will be what I get. PS4 because it doesn't have to connect to the internet every 24 hours or have a camera on at all times, and Wii U because I just can't live without the latest from Nintendo.

My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog!

Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]

Kickstarter projects are always disappointing ... the motivation is all wrong - they have the money too soon!

Once the money is in the bank they just deliver any old garbage to their backers ...

I dunno. I've gotten a handful of board games and I'm pleased with most of them. They are at least worth the money, and some of them are worth many times more. There are some I missed that I would buy now if I didn't know I could have gotten them in a kickstarter for half the price; thinking about it just makes me sad.

The Rift also seems to be as advertised so far too. It's better than I expected for dev kits. I didn't get one because I would rather have a consumer version, but the people I know with them aren't disappointed.

edit: I think in general you just have to be good at noticing red flags in kickstarter projects. Having some experience with past kickstarter successes/failures definitely pays dividends in finding future kickstarters that are worth it.

Personally, I'm not interested in any gaming console. If I have to install my games, update the OS regularily, deal with DRM and be connected to the Internet, then I see no point in playing on a console when I could be playing on my PC with my Steam library and my Blizzard games. At least I can do what I want with my PC. Besides, the console games I used to have on my radar was Squaresoft's library and I haven't found their games interesting after they merged with Enix 10 years ago, or at least not interesting enough to warrant purchasing a console.

I think the trend of turning consoles into limited computers is going to blow in the industry's face. I know a lot of people (mostly casual gamers and non-techies) that avoid PC gaming because they don't care to waste 20 minutes installing, registering, etc their new games when they want to play. I liked when I put my cartridge in my SNES, flipped the switch on and it immediately played. (Didn't even have to load!) The only advantage I've seen from having things like a console OS and an Internet connection is indie games and emulating old games, but I don't think that's what consumers buy a next-gen console for.

PS4. I own a Xbox 360 and haven't been too thrilled by the exclusives nor the Xbox One reveal. Ready to make the switch to Sony. Also, their acquisition of Gaikai has me excited/hopeful. Investing in a console/brand should grant you access to the brand's vast collection of games -- past, present, and future. I was happy to hear a Sony rep say something along these lines during the PS4 reveal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement