Sign in to follow this  
Alpha_ProgDes

What console are you buying in 2013?

Alpha_ProgDes    6921

Just wondering what consoles people are going to buy and why. For me, it might be the Wii U. I have a love for old-school games and I have a feeling the console is going to get a price drop when PS4 and The One release. I'm not totally sold on the all-in-one experience that MS and Sony provide. And also, I'm not a fan of Internet-always on consoles or being charged for used games.

frob    44916
Remember this is not an either-or decision. Many people own more than one.

Right now none of them have me excited. When the games start coming out something might catch my interest, then I'll make a decision based on the platform's content.

TheChubu    9452

Nothing at all. Last console I had was a Playstation 1. I'll keep my current desktop as it is. i5 2500K, GTX 560 Ti 1Gb (this one is going to suffer :P) plus 16Gb of DDR3.

slicer4ever    6760

It's likely Xbox is going to be me and my friends next-gen console as it was this gen.  I just don't see the PS4 offering anything substancially superiour to the xbox.

Edited by slicer4ever

minibutmany    1998

I just don't see the PS4 offering anything substancially superiour to the xbox.

Perhaps the price. The new XBOX One looks like it might be really pricey with the kind of specs they are boasting. (8gb of RAM, 8 core CPU) 

Cornstalks    7030

For me, it might be the Wii U.

Have you tried one before? For oldschool games it might be decent, but my boss has one and hates it (I think mostly because the touch screen is resistive and not capacitive (i.e. not very good)), saying it seemed like a regular Wii with a poor touch screen added.

I voted Ouya and Xbox One. My work already bought me an Ouya, and at work we have a couple. They are *awesome* when it comes to playing old school games on an emulator (kinda sucks you can't get ROMs legally), but then again I might have been just as happy with the Wii U (but then again, Wii U can't do SEGA gamesedit: perhaps I was mistaken).

might get an Xbox One. And by I, I mean my parents/family. I hate the idea that some games might require an always on connection (but then again, I hardly game anymore). I'm not sure how the all-in-one experience is, but it might be nice for my parents. I guess we'll see.

Edited by Cornstalks

Alpha_ProgDes    6921

Perhaps the price. The new XBOX One looks like it might be really pricey with the kind of specs they are boasting. (8gb of RAM, 8 core CPU) 

Doesn't the PS4 have the same specs?

Alpha_ProgDes    6921

Have you tried one before? For oldschool games it might be decent, but my boss has one and hates it (I think mostly because the touch screen is resistive and not capacitive (i.e. not very good)).

Actually I have that's why I'm considering it.

I voted Ouya and Xbox One. My work already bought me an Ouya, and at work we have a couple. They are *awesome* when it comes to playing old school games on an emulator (kinda sucks you can't get ROMs legally), but then again I might have been just as happy with the Wii U (but then again, Wii U can't do SEGA games).

Wii U can't do SEGA games? Since when? I heard that Sonic was coming to the Wii U. But really, when couldn't SEGA do the Wii U?

Cornstalks    7030

Doesn't the PS4 have the same specs?

Yup, and supposedly the PS4 has a little more terraflops in it's CPU too, so I don't imagine the XBox would be more expensive than the PS4 (though the Kinnect unit might at a little to the price).

Cornstalks    7030

Have you tried one before? For oldschool games it might be decent, but my boss has one and hates it (I think mostly because the touch screen is resistive and not capacitive (i.e. not very good)).

Actually I have that's why I'm considering it.

Cool. I haven't, so I can't personally say what it's like. I'd like to try one though.

Wii U can't do SEGA games? Since when? I heard that Sonic was coming to the Wii U. But really, when couldn't SEGA do the Wii U?

It's possible I'm wrong. Can it do old SEGA Genesis games, like Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 (with the Knuckles expansion)?

Alpha_ProgDes    6921

SMB Wii U is a damn good game. Zombi U is pretty good too.

Ohhhhhhh. You know... I don't think that's true. Only because I know I've seen Golden Axe and Phantasy Star on the Wii. So Sonic should be available as well.

Cornstalks    7030

Ohhhhhhh. You know... I don't think that's true. Only because I know I've seen Golden Axe and Phantasy Star on the Wii. So Sonic should be available as well.

After a little googling, it looks like I'm totally wrong (and they've got many of the classics, like Alex the Kid, Altered Beast, Echo, Columns, Sonic (1, 2, 3, and the Knuckles expansion!), Earthworm Jim, etc.). I guess I'm going to have to look into possibly getting one of these...

slicer4ever    6760

Potentially, but I can't imagine the next xbox is going to be more expensive than the ps4, at worse they will be the same price imo.  however it's not like it can't happen, just i don't see microsoft putting themselves in the position of being the most expensive console on the market.

Zombi U is pretty good too.

this is the only reason I want a wii U, and i've heard of another super smash bros might be on the way(although maybe it's only a 3DS title iirc).  I [i]might[/i] pick one up if i've got the spare cash, as the game's concept is really appealing to me, but it probably won't happen for a good bit.

way2lazy2care    790
I am probably not going to get anything till the middle of next year. Unless the NFL is available internationally on Xbox. Then I will literally buy it just for that.

I might get a convertible tablet, but that wouldn't be for playing games.

Buster2000    4310

Was disapointed by the XBOX anouncement.  The fee to use second hand games is certainly a turn off.  Wii U so far has failed to impress. 

I did originaly rubbish the Ouya but now it seems to be growing on me.  It may not be as powerful but they are going to release a new one every year so by the time this console generation is half way in the Ouya will probably be more powerful than the PS4 or the Xbox.  Also any extra gimic attachments such as tablet controlers, balance board or the kinect will end up having custom drivers / adapters made for them to work on the Ouya.

I will definetly be buying several tablets phones this year.

Truth be told I will probably buy every item on the list which is what I did with the last console generation.

Also non of the big three (Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony) have anounced a single thing that has made me think "wow" or "thats inovative|".   It just seems like theyve taken a bunch of componants off the shelf put them in a box, given it a shake and said "right thats the new generation of console".

Hanbo    102

Seriously, by now everyone should know, that if you want to play a bunch of FPS and have TV in your box go with Microsoft. If you want a more diverse library of exclusives go with Sony.

Also non of the big three (Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony) have anounced a single thing that has made me think "wow" or "thats inovative|".   It just seems like theyve taken a bunch of componants off the shelf put them in a box, given it a shake and said "right thats the new generation of console".

Nothing innovative? Sony bought Gaikai for the pure reason to provide a cloud-based service, that will give anything at an instant. Features like remote-control of your friends game to join him on his session. Backwards compatibility and instant availability of games you bought without downloading them through the same service.

As Microsoft already pointed out in their press conference: if you like TV and fantasy football we have something for you. To each his own, I will definitely buy a PS4.

Buster2000    4310

Gaikai and OnLive has been around for several years.  The fact that Sony include it in a console is not inovative No.  Backwards compatibility everybody did that last gen.  instant availability of games you bought a service that Netflix, LoveFilm, iTunes and Blinkbox already do with movies just applied to games.

RivieraKid    698

I think PS4 and Xbox One are equal in their ability to amuse consumers but I have no faith in Sony to get anything right, they probably wont deliver on a series of promises and generally ignore their customers once they have spent their money.

Microsoft tried very hard to generate a strong indie developer scene and put a lot of work into user experience. The controller is ergonomically designed to be comfortable. The thumbsticks are the most accurate I have ever used, and they are durable.

The first iteration of ps3 dashboard was abysmal and my friends ps3 is still suffering from random crashes, deleted save games, games wont update and thus wont work, games that cant be completed because of bugs. He's a total fanboy and has never owned an Xbox so he thinks this is normal.

The playstation controller was designed by someone who thought it looks nice, they have stayed with the design because of brand and it gives me serious pains in my fingers when I use it for only 1 hour. How other people do not experience this is a mystery to me. Their thumbsticks break down and get food stuck in them easily.

I also think the trends favour Microsoft so its likely that, due to market share, a lot more titles than usual will be available on both platforms. Especially in the PS4 -> Xbox One direction.

Also, xbox will integrate better with my windows phone, desktop and tablet. Do Sony even sell these things anymore?

Edited by RivieraKid

Bacterius    13165
The last console I had was the original Xbox back a few years ago. It was fun but I don't have enough time nowadays to make enough use of a gaming-only platform to justify its purchase, and I have my general purpose desktop which happens to be a quite capable gaming system. As for phones or tablets, I've never really found the need for those. I actually find them a bit too invasive for my taste, but then I hate change so tongue.png

So, nothing at all for me, or perhaps a Kindle since I like the concept happy.png Edited by Bacterius

Gavin Williams    985

2013 ... I'll get my girlfriend an IPad mini or IPad2. And maybe we will get an XBox One, which looks sweet. I want integrated media, that might be a driving force for me. If it was just a games machine, I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested. But having all that sweet tech and integration in a single media device, that would be great. I currently don't have a media server / player / console, except for my laptop* so there is still a place in my living room for a media / games device. I also wouldn't mind a Wii U, if it's price drops, I'll grab one.

I also love the Kinekt, I've been interested in them for a while, but they are too expensive for PC right now. And the new Kinekt is a real leap forward over the current version, so that's technology that I'll support and want to play with.

* My Alienware lappy doesn't have the best video unfortunately, even though it is an Alienware, and excellent in every other respect, the video is slightly jerky. My old PC was rock solid smooth.

shuma-gorath    1161

Say, Alpha, you forgot Nvidia Shield.

At some point I will be getting Wii U, PS4, and One, but not likely in the same year.  The other systems listed don't interest me.