• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alpha_ProgDes

What console are you buying in 2013?

95 posts in this topic

You did, but it might've been nice to see if it stands out from the pack, especially considering it comes out next month.

PC Master Race!

More seriously I just don't care about the big console shooters so I don't have a reason to buy any of them.

I seen no reason to buy a next-gen console

Kinect 2 + Stereo 3D could be amazing ... but I saw no mention of that

You did, but it might've been nice to see if it stands out from the pack, especially considering it comes out next month.

I added it just for you :)

I added it just for you smile.png

wub.png

Considering the prices (especially in Croatia), I'll most probably stick with my old trusted PC - it's "game console", "multimedia center" and "work device" for me, and with current configuration it can still hold for next 3-5 years. Not to mention that my family has 3 PCs and 3 laptops on top of SNES, GBA and PS2 so there is no need to aim for the new gen console.

On the other hand, if I would choose a new gen console, I would most probably go with Wii U. Only what's pushing me towards PS4 is possibility of new Kingdom Hearts (which is the only game I truly wait) game and maybe Final Fantasy; other exclusives (like Tekken for PS or Halo for XBox) aren't appealing for me and I don't have need of the "multimedia center" part of the consoles - I already have other devices to take care of that part. Not to mention that I have no idea will US and UK services like Netflix, HBO and others work at all in Croatia.

Nintendo has high amount of exclusives that I'd really like to buy and play, and most of them are franchises I already love due to their past games.

I'll probably buy a 7" Android tablet, but more for development than playing games. This year or next, I'm looking to buy some kind of 10-11" x86 Windows tablet (probably waiting to see what second generation based on Haswell are like), though more to use as an ultra-portable laptop/hybrid. For playing games, for now I stick with my 2012 17" laptop.

I'm sure that each system will eventually have a game I really want, buy when that will be seems so far away. With lengthy development cycles, a game built from the ground up on the new gen systems likely won't hit the market for a few more years. 

That said, when those games do come out, and with a price drop (I'm broke) I hope to eventually have the Wii U, and either the PS4 or XBOne, but leaning more toward XBOne right now since I am not too happy with my PS3 these days.

I bought a Nexus 7 tablet to replace my broken Versus a while back, and to be honest none of the new consoles seem to be worth the hassle.

The XBox One seems to be dead-on-arrival with its persistant online bullshit, the Wii-U is lacking any killer apps, and the PS4...well, I dunno. Not enough information to go on...

I don't think I have ever been so uninterested in a console gen as I am in the upcoming one . even when I was younger and couldn't afford a console at launch and probably not for several years after ( not to mention i don't like being one of the lab rats) I had some semblance of excitement but not so this generation and it makes me worry am I just truly that much of a killjoy/ pessimist or is it possible this next gen just isn't worth my money ?  Cutting out all the multimedia stuff these next consoles will do that both my laptop and iPad do for me already on a day-to-day basis and just looking at them as purely game playing devices I am not really at all that excited . should be interesting seeing what kind of projects are developed for them but man I  have never been so uninterested in the net gen as I am now.

I'll get either the PS4 or Xbox One this year if there is stock easily available (I'm definitely not going to pre-order or wait in line to get one). Then I'll get the other when a must have exclusive comes out that I actually have time to play.

I'm one of the few folks who will not pay more than $100 USD for a game counsel, and $15 for a game.

In 2013, I will continue to use my crappy computer. I will also pick up a few old systems from yard sales ( NES, Gensis, Atari ) if they are the right price.

I'm a veteran Xbox 360 user, and yet I can already say that there's no way I'm getting an Xbox One.  I'm completely shocked at how greedy this industry has become.  A friend sent me this http://imgur.com/s4rFvsn , but he also summed it up in his own words, after I'd asked him if the Xbox One has anything good to be said for it.

His words: " Won't play 360 titles, won't play pre-owned games unless you pay a premium (full retail price), games you buy become registered to your console and are blocked on all other consoles, TV channels won't work in the UK for at least the 1st 6 months and requires an extra ariel. Won't work unless connected to the internet, won't work without kinect, won't have anymore than 15 launch titles, will cost a fortune.

Fukno."

And personally, I have a pretty big issue with a camera and microphone in every home, that is mandatory to run the console.  They didn't have to design it like that, but they did - I don't trust those greedy bastards.  

And personally, I have a pretty big issue with a camera and microphone in every home, that is mandatory to run the console.

To many people, this may seem like a silly tinfoil hat thing to be worried about -- I mean, we're not going to wake up tomorrow and realize we've all got a Nineteen-eighty-four telescreen watching over us, demanding we stick to the party line...

However, it is a valid concern if you don't like the idea of spooks being able to listen in to your house. If you've been watching the GIFiles, or even just listening to the CIA's CTO conference presentations, then you'd know that your networked cameras and microphones are already used to spy on you (if you're a person of interest) and SOPA style mass data recording already does occur... Even when your iPhone is switched off, it's still a "sensor platform" as far as these guys are concerned. Hacking your devices is easy when said spooks have got backdoors into the ISPs that deliver your software updates and access to your email... If XBOne adoption did become widespread, then it won't be too long before recordings from one are used to convict a careless state enemy (without this evidence being revealed to the public for security reasons, of course).

Not that this will really influence me -- I've already got a house full of cameras and microphones that aren't wrapped up in tinfoil... but we should be aware of the world we live in, lest things go downhill.

this may seem like a silly tinfoil hat thing

Never condone ignorance.  To be honest, my personal opinions on this type of thing go beyond gaming, but most people who write off conspiracys, or theories as silly/crazy do so without thorough research; there is too much speculation and it's easier to be ignorant, as always.  Of course, this could open a whole other can of worms...

The "X-One" seems to be taking the EA approach to things - if your not connected 100% of the time, you "must" be a software pirate.

EA is also notorious for killing old game servers ( making the game unplayable ) when ever a new squeal comes out, which makes me thing that Micro$oft may be doing the same thing here.

Planning on getting the ouya and an S4 next month.  Possibly a vita, but haven's really been sold on anything else yet.

My OUYA just arrived

it is even more disappointing than expected

There is nothing entertaining about extra-low-quality hardware and software

and *everything* about OUYA is low quality and thoughtless

Just the usual moronic "nerdware" that "clever" software people always create ...

Kickstarter projects are always disappointing ... the motivation is all wrong - they have the money too soon!

Once the money is in the bank they just deliver any old garbage to their backers ...

It was priced like... 100 bucks? There are controllers alone that cost more than that. What did you expect?

I wonder if there are Tegra drivers for common Linux distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, etc) and how the 1.6Ghz quad core A9 compares to an Atom N450...

Hm, found this https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra But it seems its only for partners.

Edited by TheChubu

OUYA hardware is all about the controller ...

(the rest is just off-the-shelf parts and a plastic box)

You can buy better controllers for PS2 for £3 almost anywhere

OUYA software is all about game discovery

they only had to get 2 things right ... everything else is easy

I see no evidence of intelligence in this product ... it is doomed

I'll be picking up an Ouya soon - well, I should say I'll be receiving my early backer model from the Kickstarter campaign soon. I can't wait!

As for major consoles, the Wii U and PS4 will be what I get. PS4 because it doesn't have to connect to the internet every 24 hours or have a camera on at all times, and Wii U because I just can't live without the latest from Nintendo. 

Kickstarter projects are always disappointing ... the motivation is all wrong - they have the money too soon!

Once the money is in the bank they just deliver any old garbage to their backers ...

I dunno. I've gotten a handful of board games and I'm pleased with most of them. They are at least worth the money, and some of them are worth many times more. There are some I missed that I would buy now if I didn't know I could have gotten them in a kickstarter for half the price; thinking about it just makes me sad.

The Rift also seems to be as advertised so far too. It's better than I expected for dev kits. I didn't get one because I would rather have a consumer version, but the people I know with them aren't disappointed.

edit: I think in general you just have to be good at noticing red flags in kickstarter projects. Having some experience with past kickstarter successes/failures definitely pays dividends in finding future kickstarters that are worth it.

Edited by way2lazy2care

Personally, I'm not interested in any gaming console. If I have to install my games, update the OS regularily, deal with DRM and be connected to the Internet, then I see no point in playing on a console when I could be playing on my PC with my Steam library and my Blizzard games. At least I can do what I want with my PC. Besides, the console games I used to have on my radar was Squaresoft's library and I haven't found their games interesting after they merged with Enix 10 years ago, or at least not interesting enough to warrant purchasing a console.

I think the trend of turning consoles into limited computers is going to blow in the industry's face. I know a lot of people (mostly casual gamers and non-techies) that avoid PC gaming because they don't care to waste 20 minutes installing, registering, etc their new games when they want to play. I liked when I put my cartridge in my SNES, flipped the switch on and it immediately played. (Didn't even have to load!) The only advantage I've seen from having things like a console OS and an Internet connection is indie games and emulating old games, but I don't think that's what consumers buy a next-gen console for.

PS4. I own a Xbox 360 and haven't been too thrilled by the exclusives nor the Xbox One reveal. Ready to make the switch to Sony. Also, their acquisition of Gaikai has me excited/hopeful. Investing in a console/brand should grant you access to the brand's vast collection of games -- past, present, and future. I was happy to hear a Sony rep say something along these lines during the PS4 reveal.