Bumpy grass on terrain

Started by
3 comments, last by cowsarenotevil 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello.

I am trying to make my flat terrain a little bumpy and I saw Outerra's old implementation.

grass1n.jpg

It looks pretty well but I couldn't figure it out. It seem POM is used but I tried lots of combinations with POM and normal mapping and I couldn't achieve that sight.

Do you have any idea about how to achieve such a perfect bumps on grass.

Advertisement

I always assumed Outerra used some sort of fractal algorithm with just simple normal-mapping, but after reading this piece I think they must use textures with a good parallax technique, though it seems you already knew that.

https://plus.google.com/116201034910678785066/posts/1S5YjCTCaWj

it does look very good :)
varying foliage is usually done by wang-tiles

Sorry, replied to wrong thread..

"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "

I don't have the first idea about how the terrain in that video is achieved (and I haven't read that thread posted, either), but one thing I notice is that there seem to be at least two different types of LOD at work, because I notice geometry sliding in and out as well as some discrete pops.

I wonder if maybe it isn't possible that the combination of LOD geometry and some kind of "fancy" lighting (this comes to mind) is sufficient even without parallax occlusion mapping.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement