Retro(Sfxr/Bfxr) Sounds In A High Detailed 2d Game

Started by
1 comment, last by kburkhart84 10 years, 11 months ago

I'm interested in opinion on this subject. The graphics I'm referring too would be 3d rendered sprites, which I'm rendering with Blender. The majority would be at the least 32x32, but most are closer to the 64x64 size, which allows for pretty high detail. Now, sound effects on the other hand, I'm interested in using bxfr/sfxr for them. The sound effects therefore would be more "retroish", and therefore wouldn't exactly match the visual style.

My question is, how do you(as potential game players) feel about this combination? Are there any examples of games like this? I know that the SNES games generally could be like this, but generally the sprites were lower detailed than this, and/or the sounds weren't quite as "retro" as the ones from sfxr.

Advertisement

Can you drop an example of the sprite? Will these be textured? It's hard to say without seeing, but I would try non textured (similar to vectors like in Another World)...

SNES defenitely didn't feel like sfxr to me, it had pretty advanced (relative) sound.

And the most important, what genre?

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

These two are examples, though I was actually looking for something more general.

Ship.png

0001.png

The asteroid's animation is simply the rotation. The ship only rotates in-engine. I could have set the lighting at an angle and rendered different angles separately, but I think it is fine like this.

Note that this is simply an example of the art style. This art would be used for a space shooter or Asteroids clone, but I could use the same style in an action platformer or even an RPG, though for those two I find it more difficult due to clashing art styles between tiled levels and 3d rendered characters, but that is another topic I may open.

My main issue is that I'm not much of a spriter, and it would take a long time for me to learn. I'm really not much of a 3d artist either, but it is much easier for me to wrap my head around it, and takes me less time. For sounds, I don't have access to a free sound effects designer, or musician, and I really would rather not beg for custom sounds/music for free. This means I can either source sounds online(like Freesound.org) or create them myself(likely LabChirp or bfxr) and the music likely lmms. As far as the programming I could do either 2d or 3d, and though 2d is easier I find 3d fine too. So basically I'd want a 3d game with "2d retro" sounds/music, but this doesn't mesh well, hence the creation of this topic. Someone on another forum mentioned the game Star Control(early 90s DOS game) because aparently my graphics reminded them of that. I see the similarity, but would that style of 3dish sprites with synthesized sound work in a "modern" game, even indie? Are there any other examples?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement