• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rouncer

my defective art

11 posts in this topic

Noone can even tell what this picture is, whom ive showed, if a game came out with this graphics, would it really bother you?

sunset.png

Looks like a waterfall, running water in the foreground, some leafless trees in the back, and I think I even see some skulls/heads piled on the near bank of the water at the bottom, a guy with a sword on the far bank, and a dude hanging from one of the trees. That, or this is the most fucked up Rorschach inkblot ever.

The picture, on its own, is kind of intriguing. It hints more than anything. If that background were moving/animated, it might make it a whole lot harder to read, but that might also add an element of menace to the feel of the game. If you were toodling along, just barely paying attention, and all of a sudden, "oh, whoa, that dude is hanging there. Are those effing skulls?" it could be kind of fun.

I'd say do a quick and small prototype to nail down the feel and show it to some folks. If it works, run with it. I would give it a play.

Edited by FLeBlanc

I have seen the same things that FleBlanc said above.But to tell the truth,it's hard to understand why you make such graphic.I am wondering what will you do next?

But to tell the truth,it's hard to understand why you make such graphic.

^This.  I can see the person with the sword, the hanging person, the skulls, and the waterfall/river.  But it's kind of physically painful to look at, and I don't understand what the style is supposed to add that would make up for its difficulty of interpretation.

Oh, someone even spotted the skulls!

It is indeed a strange style, I need to soften the harshness a bit, more colours would help distinguish things.

Its my own personal art program, and it has weaknesses which I have to remedy.

It's funny, because from what I've seen you're actually pretty good with art.
It's just hard to tell because whatever you use seems to have you scratching out the lights with some sort of pseudo dodge tool-- thus the harshness.
More colors would probably help, but that isn't entirely it,.. But I can't put my finger on it right now and I'm pressed for time.

The only other thing I'll say is don't self depreciate yourself in the title like that. People assume things that will either influence their view of your art, or won't even come and look.

It's funny, because from what I've seen you're actually pretty good with art.
It's just hard to tell because whatever you use seems to have you scratching out the lights with some sort of pseudo dodge tool-- thus the harshness.
More colors would probably help, but that isn't entirely it,.. But I can't put my finger on it right now and I'm pressed for time.

I think the contrast is the problem.  It's physically difficult for eyes to look at such high contrast as between the saturated yellow areas and the black texturing.

I think ive solved my problem, instead of working on black, i actually work light to dark and do a bit of soft underwork then the details come out less harsh.

viola-> (exact same artist)

goodart.png

All I need now is multicolour!  and i can stamp my way through a golden axe level.

Edited by rouncer

I would love to see a game in this style. Not that I have any suggestions as to what that would be, it'd be nice with a really artistic look, maybe even a bit of surrealism. Could give a very distinct look to make you stand out. Just make sure to work as much on the actual gameplay as the style, I've seen a lot of games with brilliant artwork, that aren't much fun to play.

Keep going man, looking forward to seeing the development here!

Good work so far! I think you have a really unique style going, but you sill have room for improvement.

I think your real problem is understanding contrast. You need to go farther in defining objects, both by making the objects themselves darker/lighter, but also by toning down stuff that isn't important like the sky and ground. Important things should stand out from background stuff. In your first drawing, contrast was extreme on everything so it was difficult to make out any single detail, but on your second you have the opposite problem- everything is kind of washed out. For example, in your second image the sky is waaaay too close in value to the trees, and in general you have nothing close to white. The upper half of figure on the left however is silhouetted fairly well in comparison. I think looking up some tips on positive and negative space would help, too.

I think you might be better off practicing in grayscale since the colorized look distracts from that, which isn't what you want if you want to get better (but more or less fine if you're making it as a final product). 

I'm interested what you mean by "your own personal art program". Did you write a computer program to allow you to create those drawings? I don't really like them very much, they are hard to look at, but I like it that you have your own personal art program, I wish I had one of my own too!